To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Shopping for your own food

edited February 2007 in General
Who here actually shop for their own food. I go to save ons on a weekly basis and I'm running out of ideas on what to eat. Umm I usually end up buying the same stuff. I usually end up buying the microwave dinner trays, lots of chips, juice, pop, bread, deli meat, and i'm usually done eating all my things in a few days and end up eating out for the rest of the week. What do you guys usually buy? I need some new ideas. Thanks.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    My boyfriend and I shop for our own food. We go about once a month to stock up, and then go every week or so to get things like milk or eggs.

The best advice I can give is to get things that you can toss in the freezer. We'll buy a big package of chicken and freeze them all in separate servings. That way you just defrost what you are going to eat, and you don't have to worry about things going bad. We also freeze bread, bagels, english muffins, soup, etc. We can buy more at a time and just take it from the freezer as we need it.

I would suggest trying to follow the Canadian Health Guide while planning your meals. If you are eating a lot of microwave dinners, you are probably spending way too much money on pretty mediocre food. Try making a casserole or something early in the week. You can freeze the rest and have it as an easy dinner or lunch. Also be sure to stock up on fruits and veggies!
  • edited February 2007
    It's wayyyy cheaper to buy your own groceries than to eat out all the time but you really have to be disciplined to pull it off... I usually grab sandwich materials, pasta materials, and a few different types of drinks like juice which usually forms a solid lineup of meals, and eat out a few times in between. Freezing things makes things a lil easier but its probably not the healthiest thing to do since it kills a lot of the nutrients in the food..no offence malakai!
  • edited February 2007
    Freezing doesn't kill nutrients in food.

At least not according to the USA Food & Safety Inspection. Which is probably a reliable source. :wink:

"The freezing process itself does not destroy nutrients. In meat and poultry products, there is little change in nutrient value during freezer storage."
  • edited February 2007
    Well I tried to find some evidence to "refute your claim" but it didn't really work...it does make intuitive sense for the quality of food to go down after any type of preservation though, no?
  • edited February 2007
    There is lots of good info on the page I linked if you want to find out more. I found some things on there that I didn't know!

"Food stored constantly at 0 °F will always be safe. Only the quality suffers with lengthy freezer storage. Freezing keeps food safe by slowing the movement of molecules, causing microbes to enter a dormant stage. Freezing preserves food for extended periods because it prevents the growth of microorganisms that cause both food spoilage and foodborne illness."

The quality will go down due to things like freezer burn (where it dries out), or if you thaw it in the microwave and cook part of it in there (ew).

But if you eat at restaurants (fastfood or regular), much of what you're eating has been frozen at some point.

Leave a Comment