To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Upass question

edited September 2006 in General
Hello all,

If you forget your upass and the skytrain guys check, can you get out of it? I was told, they'll issue a ticket, and you can just fax in your upass when you get the chance and they'll cancel the ticket. is this true?

tia

Comments

• edited September 2006
    I got ticket last year for the same shit. I took the trouble to write a letter of appeal with full of lies insisting I was not trying to cheat. They sent me a reply for the court hearing. Fortunately, the transit officer did not show up!!! And the judge dismissed my case. Phew!!!!
  • edited September 2006
    You don't have to pay the fine if you don't want to. Dispute the amount. If you lose, just leave it there until you need to get a license or something. As long as you never have anything to do with ICBC, you'll never have to pay the fine. It's a ridiculously high fine anyway. Everyone should do their duty to society and refuse to pay the fine.

I lost my upass and got caught without after a few weeks...disputed my ticket amount and filled up a Written Reasons form at the provincial court. The justise was kind enough to believe me (I attached a rental car receipt with the form as evidence) and fine me only $25. So if you do have a genuine case, please go ahead and dispute it. The court is pretty kind to students who have financial difficulties as well...
  • edited September 2006
    hm...strange. well, I'll see if i can find some answers but i do appreciate the feedback.

Guess if worse comes to worse, I can just drive to production and hop on the 145's back door. It' just for this week. I left my upass at my gf's place in victoria lol! stupid move eh?

and ye, I do have to deal with icbc. sigh.
  • edited September 2006
    One time I got caught going downtown on the skytrain by the police without my upass. I seriously went to pull it out of my wallet and realized that I had changed wallets before I left and had honestly forgot it. The cop told me to explain it to a transit guy who happened to be really really nice. I told him that it was an honest mistake and that I would be more than willing to purchase a ticket, but when I showed him my student ID, he wrote me up a free pass for the rest of the night so that I could not get a ticket on my way home! I couldn't believe it because usually they are such ***holes! I guess it helped that my boyfriend had his bus pass, so it looked like we weren't trying to cheat the system....

There are some nice people out there!

Leave a Comment