To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

portable cell phone numbers

edited February 2007 in General
one month to go :D

"By March 14, 2007 Bell Mobility, Rogers Wireless and the mobility division of TELUS Communications Inc. will be required to provide WNP to their customers in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Québec. This means that customers in any of these provinces will be able to switch to any service provider in that province (wireline or wireless) and keep their phone number."

For some reason Telus thinks this is gonna be good for their business

Comments

• edited February 2007
    It gives a bit more freedom, that's for sure. Not much, though, since it only opens up the doors for you to choose from one of the MANY (three, count 'em, three) major carriers in Canada. Whoop-dee-doo.

I really don't think there's going to be much of a change in the percentages of people with any given carrier. There are people pissed off with all of the carriers, wanting to change. I just think it'll balance out. However, competition will be stiffer in the future.

One thing I've had to explain to a lot of customers is that while you can switch your number over, you have to remember that you're still tied to your contractual obligations to your current carrier. Your contract with 2 years remaining isn't going to disappear, or transfer to your new carrier. You either have to cancel your contract, thus paying for the early cancellation fee, or wait out your contract until it's over.

Personally, I'm a Telus mobility employee with a Rogers Wireless cell phone. It seems like I'm the only person alive who is satisfied with their wireless service.
  • edited February 2007
    actually, back home in Finland they had this too to spike up the competition a bit and what happened was there was loads of people changing at first. So the first month was total chaos! it was supposed to take a week, but ended up taking a bit more than a month etc etc... then it kinda slowed down now people hardly do it. Last time I went back, which was this last Xmas, I just read a report that no one really lost too many customers etc etc...

But what I think B.C will start to see is a lot more price competition and price drops for carriers to keep their customers, cos there are just some crazy price differences out there right now that I don't even understand why people would take a certain package :D anyhow, that's my prediction; that instead of people switching too much over, operators will start to drop their prices just to keep customers...

Anyhow, have a good day and good luck on exams :)
  • Pro
    edited February 2007
    this would explain why i got a letter from fido explaning how great they were.

Leave a Comment