To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Beat Procrastination - Tips & Strategies

edited March 2007 in General
Judging by the fact that MOST of us around here were behind in our readings since the 3rd week of school, and some of us have back-to-back midterms, exams, etc., I figured a thread with specific tips on beating procrastination was in order.

Purpose: To provide some strategies for when you are procrastinating that will help you to get back on track.

Style: Post your strategies here! Please please please be specific in the strategy (ie: "just do some work" is not wildly helpful!), and also post if you have tried one of the strategies and we can see what is most effective.

So what works for you?

Comments

• edited February 2007
    I'll get us rolling:

- Procrastination is putting off something you should be doing in order to do something else. BUT! If you can make that "something else" an important thing, then you are actually being very productive instead of watching 3 hours worth of YouTube.

For example, I've been putting off writing this English assignment I'm dreading, but I've been spending my time working on a Kinesiology project which is very easy and mindless. While it is definitely procrastination for English, at least I'm still doing SOMEthing instead of nothing. It makes it harder to beat up on yourself this way.

A follow up trick is to find something that you want to do even less and then do your homework instead. Admittedly, the English writing is a lot more appealing than doing my laundry, so I'll leave that for another day and work on English instead. :wink:
  • edited February 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    A follow up trick is to find something that you want to do even less and then do your homework instead. Admittedly, the English writing is a lot more appealing than doing my laundry, so I'll leave that for another day and work on English instead. :wink:
    Maybe we ought to grade people's English assignments on the basis of how dirty their clothing is . . . :tongue:
  • edited February 2007
    my stategy: force myself till stay at school till night-time (only because i drive).

i find that i study really well at school because my logic is that if I'm at school, I might as well be doing schoolworking. Plus, at home i get distracted really easily.
  • edited February 2007
    meesh said:
    my stategy: force myself till stay at school till night-time (only because i drive).

i find that i study really well at school because my logic is that if I'm at school, I might as well be doing schoolworking. Plus, at home i get distracted really easily.
    i second this, but i bussssss lol

i cant do school work at home, always get distracted by somethin or just plain lazy

brute force study time at the library! yaaaa thats how the pros do it kids! :p
  • edited March 2007
    So today I woke up at 8:30 am in the morning to study for my CFA test. Umm managed to sit on the computer the whole morning reading forums without even opening my books.

I believe the best strategy is forcing yourself to stay at school and just studying in one of those cubicles. It worked out fine for me when I was up there at SFU.
  • edited March 2007
    I get bored sitting in those cubicles with my books. It makes me want to study even less!

I prefer to be alone in my house. And then I study in small chunks and distract myself between the studying. A timer would be a helpful tool, but I usually just keep my eyes on my watch. I'll work for an hour, then take a 20 minute break. Depending on how much there is to do, it works pretty well!

Also, taking a break and going outside to get some fresh air makes a heck of a difference.
  • edited March 2007
    It helps to prioritize things...not just schoolwork but anything you have to do.

Make a list of things you want to finish that day, that week, and that month and constantly take action toward completing those things. Its ok to take a break obviously but if you regularly reassess where you are on your list of things to do, you should be alright.

Procrastination is ALL mental.
  • edited March 2007
    I will be the first to admit that I have a procrastination problem sometimes, especially when it comes to long term assignments. I think I procrastinate more as the stress builds, until there is absolutely no way I can complete the assignment unless I start on it that minute. I have literally made myself sick putting things of until the last minute.
  • edited March 2007
    I'm experiencing a whole new flavour of procrastination tonight!

I was called into babysit until midnight (kids were already in bed), so I thought it's the perfect time to write that 3000 word essay due in a week.

HA! I managed to find a wifi access point and my computer has transformed from a essay writing tool to a gateway to procrastination....ack!

3000 words is a LOT. Seriously. I should get on it... haha
  • edited March 2007
    I am the biggest procrastinator that you will ever meet!

I cant study at home because I am distracted by just about anything, but cant study at school either for some reason.

I just end up forcing myself to sit down for a few days and study my ass off before the finals....not the best strategy, but it works for me I guess.
  • edited March 2007
    throw your computer out the window
  • edited March 2007
    shadysimon said:
    throw your computer out the window
    and loose access to talksfu?

c'mon, is you serious?
  • edited March 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    3000 words is a LOT. Seriously. I should get on it... haha
    I've written 4,000 words in one night once.

I do not recommend writing 4,000 words in one night.

However, despite not knowing what the hell I was doing, when I got the essay back, the prof was like "this is the best essay in class!"

Self-esteem increased tenfold the next day :teeth:

..... but seriously people, do not procrastinate
  • edited March 2007
    Ouch... 4,000 in a night! Not my preference. I've already written 500... which only leaves... oh yikes... lol

I'll be working on it today AFTER I go out and take pictures because 21 days of rain is enough to make me want to jump off the Granville St bridge!
  • edited March 2007
    lol... the craziest I've ever done is write 2 research papers in one day.. haven't done any previous research or anything :)

it actually didn't take that long... like 5-6h or something.

a tip that I would like to share is; before writing your paper, be prepared!
    have a piece of paper out and write all the steps that you're gonna do, which concepts you are going to link etc etc... what you are writing on intro, outro etc... this will take about 30min, but it will take you about 30min to write a 7page paper... :)
  • edited March 2007
    Mengs, bro, thats some solid advice.

Seriously if you do a little bit of preparation it goes a long way especially if you have some...or A LOT... of catching up to do

props times 2 ;)
  • edited March 2007
    baby e said:
    I am the biggest procrastinator that you will ever meet!

I cant study at home because I am distracted by just about anything, but cant study at school either for some reason.

I just end up forcing myself to sit down for a few days and study my ass off before the finals....not the best strategy, but it works for me I guess.
    I have the same problem of not being able to study at home so I usually go to the nearest tim hortons. Something about the cafeteria feel, the constant buzz around me and the coffee smell really forces me to delve deeper into the material I happen to be studying.
  • edited March 2007
    I have 2000 words down... 1000 to go! Being 2/3 done is pretty awesome.

The other good news is that in procrastinating from doing this essay, I managed to get a lot of work done in my other classes. Jeez... haha
  • edited March 2007
    I'm writing a ten page paper right now....started it about three hours ago....three more pages to go! :D
  • edited March 2007
    Go team! :teeth:
  • edited March 2007
    lol i gave up for the night, gonna start again tomorrow morning (im weak sause hehehe)

i usually like setting up shop at one of the big tables in the long aq hall way between the coffee shop and images (mainly because there is a leg rest at the bottom of the table lmao)
  • edited March 2007
    I'll make sure to come and unplug your laptop when I see you. :wink:

I've given up for the night too. I'm too freaking tiiired!

Leave a Comment