To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Cheap, healthy food for lunch

edited February 2007 in General
im sick of paying for garbage food at school and it racks up financially

so what do i pack for lunch?
something filling, cheap, easy to make and healthy, that tastes good cold.. (itll be cold by the time i eat it at lunch)

do casseroles still taste good when cold? how about mac and cheese?

i can't seem to be able to make a good sandwich.. i just put ham, egg, lettuce. and it doesn't taste very nice.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    i really like cold pasta with tomato sauce and mushrooms
    or i make a greek salad

i dont know,these days i don't really eat lunch/breakfast but i usually have yogurt at hand for snack time :)
  • edited February 2007
    cold pasta is awesome...with a little bit of hot sauce ;)

usually my mom makes me a sandwich or something so thats a pretty good thing to learn to make because its quick and easy to eat and its healthy
  • edited February 2007
    Wraps! They are soooo much better than sandwiches for me cuz too much bread makes me feel all blechhh. Just get a tortilla, put meat, lettuce, cheese, tomato, cucumber, ranch dressing and ta-da!

I make my boyfriend's lunch every day (part of the deal cuz he works and I go to school). A good sandwich really just takes practice, but I can tell you how I do it anyway:

1. Bread: choose something more interesting than plain old white or whole wheat. He likes the ones with seeds and whatnot in there. Just pick something tasty and fresh.

2. Spread miracle whip (or mayo if you don't care about your health... hehe) on one slice and Dijon honey mustard on the other side. Make sure to spread to the edges of the bread cuz those dry parts you miss will taste yucky later.

3. Slice some cheese THINLY. This is key. Big thick cheese chunks aren't nice in a sandwich. Try using something other than cheddar sometimes, like smoked mozzarella or Havarti. Put that on one side of the bread.

4. Meat. We use deli meat cuz there are lots of different choices and it's already sliced nice and thin. Take the meat and fold in in half so you get a flat side and position this close to the edge of the bread. This keeps meat from dangling all out the sides and looking bad. Put on a bunch of pieces (my boyfriend likes TONS) over the cheese.

5. Veggies. Slice some tomato, avocado, cucumber, onion, etc. And place those on top of the meat. Fresh veggies make a big difference! Then some lettuce on top. If you can, buy those bags of salad mix and don't just use iceberg lettuce that has no real nutrients in it.

6. Season if you wish. A little pepper is usually enough.

7. Close it up and make sure nothing's sneaking out the sides. I like to slice it vertically, but SOMEone likes it diagonally even though everything falls out.. pfft.

--

Some other good sandwiches are tuna salad and egg salad cuz you basically just slap it between some bread and you are ready to go. :wink:
  • edited February 2007
    ^ you should also try pita wraps if you haven't already :).

Leave a Comment