To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Critique my Resume

edited February 2007 in General
I'll probably start looking for a new job tomorrow when I get off work if I don't get too lazy. I don't see any room for growth in my current position and I am just not learning anything new. Besides, I'm not getting paid enough and I managed to accumulate a load of debt w/ the schooling I went through. So I'll need a job that can help me out w/ my debt and of course I won't be mentioning any of this when I manage to land that interview. So I just edited my current resume and removed most of the things that is irrelevent. I would prefer to keep the resume to one page. Can you guys please be kind enough to critque my resume for me? Thank you in advance.

untitledpl4.th.jpg

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Looking pretty good to me! It's smart to keep it to one page.

One suggestion that I'd make would be to keep the focus on the skills you have that pertain specifically to the job you want to find. So the sales experience you have at London Drugs is not overly relevant. You could give that section a little less space and maybe add something more specific about your education. Such as what types of courses you focused on, if you received any awards, or something else relevant.

It does look pretty good, as is. I just thought I'd try to give you some ideas. :smile:
  • edited February 2007
    having taken a course specific to resumes at (yay) bcit..this is what i can offer you based on what they taught us:

looks good.

employment read is a bit too packed. maybe format it a bit differently. agree with malakaii that the london drug thing is not related, minimize the info in it.

bring education to the top (imo) it's short and sweet and shows who you are.

make it either exactly one page, or just about 2 pages. dont' make it a page and a bit.

maybe try to designe a nice sleek letterhead. if you can.

dont be afraid of making it two pages. there is nothing about your personal, hobbies, volunteer, or references. I suggest adding this so they see that you are a person, not just what you can do

add references (available upon request) at the bottom.

if you make it 2 pages, make sure on the bottom of the page you put your name, page 1 of 2, page 2 of 2 (in case it gets separated), sometimes these places fax your resume to others that have openings.

if you hand in the resume, (good idea), print it on an off-white colour and fancy nice paper. separates you from the pack.

thats what i can offer. but it does look good what you've got. my word to everyone out there...DON'T USE THE MICROSOFT WORD RESUME BUILDER!! then you're resume looks like everyone else's. develop your own format.

good luck!!
  • edited February 2007
    oh yea...colour looks good in key places. like a letter head. if it's done nicely.
  • edited February 2007
    What bank are you wishing to join?
  • edited February 2007
    ^ I would prefer to actually work at a credit union such as Vancity. But I believe it will be better if I work at TD or CIBC as there seems to be more room for growth there in terms of the investment side of banking.

I've put down quite a few lines for London Drugs on my resume just b/c I've spent quite a bit of time there as you can see on my resume. I'll probably add some of my courses that I have taken and some extracurricular activities to my resume just to make it appear that I'm more well rounded (someone else told me to remove the extracurricular activities to make my resume appear more professional).

But thanks for the input!
  • edited February 2007
    I think your resume looks awesome, you'll get the job for sure!

Leave a Comment