To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Blackberry vs. Nokia E61

edited February 2007 in General
I'm thinking about picking up the E61 this weekend but I can't decide between that and the Blackberry... I doubt a lot of you will know what I'm talking about but the guys who know cell phones definitely should have an opinion. My main reason for interest in the E61 is because its thinner than a blackberry, does all the same things, and has WIFI which is gonna be a big bonus...but why the hell does the whole world use blackberrys?? Anyone got any opinions on either phone?

blackberry_8700r_60x135.gif Blackberry

nokia_e62_130x251.gif E61

Comments

• edited February 2007
    if u don't have an unlimited data plan definitely go for the e61.

i don't know what ure budget is but this is pretty nice too http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i600-1807.php
  • edited February 2007
    thedon said:
    if u don't have an unlimited data plan definitely go for the e61.
    Wouldn't it be the opposite? Blackberry data goes through a different server, which compresses the data you actually get on your blackberry, so you end up using less data than a regular PDA with EDGE, such as the E61 (actually I thought Rogers had the E62, anyhow...). That's why, at a comparable price plan, Blackberry Data plans offer less data than PDA data plans.

Blackberry seems more popular because of the full business solution it seems to provide, with the Blackberry Enterprise Server. It's not that big of a deal nowadays anyway, but if you've had a blackberry in the past, it's easy to jump to a new one since they all have a similar interface, plus the controls are generally the same, with the scroll wheel. The PIN-to-PIN messaging is a nice feature, but I don't see how it's any more convenient than an email. Probably just more secure to send a message directly to a Blackberry than through an email server.

Personally, I like Nokia products, but it really depends on what you're going to be doing with your PDA. If it's just for looks, get the Nokia. Otherwise, I find Blackberrys to be more user friendly. That, and Brickbreaker (game that comes with all newer Blackberrys) is the shit.
  • edited February 2007
    well, i guess you know what your talking about there bud ;)

blackberry has a email server called "blackberry connect" and the E61 is compatible with that so basically it would work off the same push system and the E62 is the new version of the same phone...get this...they took WiFI out (because the cell providers can't make money off it) therefore, i could get by with a cheaper data plan because i could use wifi to check my email whenever i have the opportunity

i didnt know about the pin to pin function of blackberrys i migt have to look into that.
  • edited February 2007
    TiNgLu_SiNgH said:
    well, i guess you know what your talking about there bud ;)

blackberry has a email server called "blackberry connect" and the E61 is compatible with that so basically it would work off the same push system and the E62 is the new version of the same phone...get this...they took WiFI out (because the cell providers can't make money off it) therefore, i could get by with a cheaper data plan because i could use wifi to check my email whenever i have the opportunity

i didnt know about the pin to pin function of blackberrys i migt have to look into that.
    Yeah, most PDA phones now have some sort of a "push" email system, unlike 2-3 years ago when Blackberry was pretty much the only device to include this feature. WiFi is a great feature, because it comes in very useful when you're on campus and we have SFUNET.

How much are you willing to spend?
  • edited February 2007
    Hey I went and bought the Nokia from a guy off craigslist but I brought it home and it turned out to be an E62 ! I got burned nicely, now I have no 3G and no wifi and its locked to rogers. I guess I'll have to survive without wifi for now, but do you know how I'd get it unlocked? I might just sell this one if i can.

Leave a Comment