To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

new sfu logo.. wtf?

edited February 2007 in General
n116204056_30529992_8135.jpg

http://www.sfu.ca

fugly.

nuff said.

edit: having said that, its growing on me the more i see it haha

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Wwhat?? I thought it was a glitch the first time I saw it... its kind of hideous
  • edited February 2007
    it is... Ew... :S
  • edited February 2007
    that..red square?
  • edited February 2007
    it just feels like SFU has just been asianized.. not that i have a problem with my culture.. but it just reminds me of the china flag.. and the japan one too... it's just too... bland.. =( and i seriously like the previous code of arms.. it's nice despite being accused of projecting a religious theme.. better than this blob of red i would say..
  • edited February 2007
    wow, SFU is really that poor. Even a 3 year old can do better than that!
  • edited February 2007
    I'm so disappointed. They say it's supposed to symbolize how united university we are (as opposed to divided into distinct faculties like UBC) and it makes sense... but I really hope they didn't pay the graphic designer too much to come up with this red block. And can anyone see this being on all our SFU merchandise? ='(...
  • edited February 2007
    what the ?
    i had no idea they had the intention of changing the sfu logo!!!
    "The branding initiative included extensive market research and audience surveys, detailed graphic-standards manuals and requirements for all print and web materials, and related consultation on website design to complement the new brand."

...and all they could come up with was a red box and white letters? oh dear...
  • edited February 2007
    C'mon, hire a student in School of Interactive Arts and it would be more creative than that.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm confused cuz I thought they were just removing the crosses from the current logo? And they were saying something about retaining an open book and a crest and other stuff... Weird.

If I hired someone to make a logo, and they came up with this, I'd be peeved. It's too simple. We are already encased in concrete, at least give us a snazzy logo!

There is a Facebook Group against the logo if you wanted to join. :wink:
  • edited February 2007
    yuck
  • edited February 2007
    i think the people who designed the logo should have surveyed the student body more extensively about what kind of logo we'd want. this logo is representing our school...and us...and i think we should've had more say in it.
    but I didn't know anything about a redesign (only that the crosses were going to be taken out of the crest).

this logo is supposed to represent unity, or so it says on the news site, yet students were left out of the idea process? where's the unity there?
    I remember participating in a survey for the SFU slogan, but not for the logo...

i'm hoping maybe it'll grow on me, or maybe i'm being too harsh on it...but i find the motto behind the design is a load of crock.
  • edited February 2007
    I hope SFU didn't waste too much money on this trash.
  • edited February 2007
    April fools is a bit early...but good joke guys..right...RIGHT?!!?

In all seriousness, that is retarded. I could crap out a more interesting school logo:angry:

I don't get how they can actually spit out this explanation of symbolism behind the logo. It's a red square with the writing "SFU". I think someone's just trying to pull bullshit explanations of non existent symbolism...the way I did with my highschool english essays. Honestly, it's a red square with "SFU", what could it possibly symbolize? Unity? Not really...laziness to design a worthwhile representation of the school? maybe.
  • Pro
    edited February 2007
    the square perhaps symbolizes the AQ?
  • edited February 2007
    I was for taking the crosses off but this is hardly a crest or a logo. I mean, it doesn't even have a hammer or sickle or anything.
  • edited February 2007
    wtf...at first i thought this was a joke...it's gonna be in the guiness book of record for the most retarded logo for a college in the history of mankind...
  • Pro
    edited February 2007
    that facebook group against it is halirious

Leave a Comment