To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Duties

edited February 2007 in General
I just ordered a $360 USD curriculum from the USA and the site said the courseware may be subject to duties. I've heard that the duty fees are extremely high when companies like UPS does it for you. Does anyone know the rate that UPS charges?

Comments

• edited February 2007
    i believe for ups standard, for a package of that value u would have to pay duties (13%?) and then UPS charges u another 25 brokerage fee on top of that

the fee is waived if u use UPS worldwide/ or express one (the expensive ones)
  • edited February 2007
    If its coming straight to your house, there probably won't be any duties... its only if you are bringing it across yourself. not sure though, im from the island hehe
  • edited February 2007
    i hate duty fees, you can always try to ask them to send it as a gift?
  • edited February 2007
    ^ yeah I wish. It's a professional financial program I'm taking and there's a heavy emphasis on ethics so I doublt they'll do that for me.
  • edited February 2007
    If it's by UPS you will likely be royally screwed; you will be paying UPS a crazy fee for brokering the package through customs AND the customs fees on top of that. USPS is usually okay if the person on the other end declares it as only $20.

Leave a Comment