To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Earth quake in vancouver omg

edited February 2007 in General
It seems that the earth quake will hit vaccouver this year which is of high magnitude of 8.5 on richter scale.
No one can predict when it will hit or where or how strong it will be. But the experts are certain of one thing: it will hit. Southwestern British Columbia is overdue for a big, perhaps an enormous earthquake. Although it has been 50 years since the region had a close encounter of the shaky kind--a strong 7.3 Richter-scale quake north of Courtenay in 1946--the fact is that Vancouver sits atop the most active earthquake zone in Canada and the half-century hiatus since the Vancouver Island quake means subterranean pressures are building up again.
wut will we do? if it comes
omg
:omg:

Comments

• edited February 2007
    uhhhhh it seems it will hit this year... yet they dont know when its going to hit................... but if its going to hit this year they do know when its going to hit... someone is an idiot
  • edited February 2007
    great..i cant wait lol...
  • edited February 2007
    Imagine if you were driving across a bridge and the earthquake were to occur at that moment.
  • edited February 2007
    They've been saying this for years, now!
  • edited February 2007
    yeah i remember preparing for the "THE BIG ONE" in elementary school.

can't stop mother nature...when it comes, it comes. nothin' u can do about it.
  • w2k
    edited February 2007
    Even though we have known for years that there will be a 'big one' sooner or later, how many of us can really say we are prepared for it? How many of us actually have EQ kits at home?
  • edited February 2007
    No one is prepared, really. As we can tell by the mad rush for water in November when the tap water was muddy!

It's one of the reasons I took a First Aid course, so I could at least try to help my family and whoever else I can...
  • edited February 2007
    Though it probably will hit, when this happens is uncertain. It could happen now or in two-hundred years. If it hits, the epicentre will almost certainly be in the ocean, meaning that the danger of a tidal wave would be more realistic. The good news is that we Vancouverites will be shielded by Vancouver Island which would take most of the damage. There would definitely be flooding on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. The bad news (at least if you're in Richmond) is that there may be flooding there. Get your inflatable boats ready people floods are unforgiving and last far longer than any quake.
  • edited February 2007
    yea its gonna be ugly

i wonder how apt buildings and infrasture will hold up, i know some are 'earthquake proof'.. but up to what point 7.0? 8? 8+ ? i worry cause i live on the 19th floor right by the fraser river :(
  • edited February 2007
    Soon you will live IN the Fraser River. :wink:

I'll be running for Wall Centre!
  • edited February 2007
    i don't really care when or how it comes.. like meesh pointed out you can't stop mother nature.. and if i die then so be it.. i have better things to worry about than when i die and how i die..
  • edited February 2007
    Insatiable said:
    Though it probably will hit, when this happens is uncertain. It could happen now or in two-hundred years. If it hits, the epicentre will almost certainly be in the ocean, meaning that the danger of a tidal wave would be more realistic. The good news is that we Vancouverites will be shielded by Vancouver Island which would take most of the damage. There would definitely be flooding on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. The bad news (at least if you're in Richmond) is that there may be flooding there. Get your inflatable boats ready people floods are unforgiving and last far longer than any quake.
    If this happens....am i gladed that i didnt get into UBC...
  • w2k
    edited February 2007
    most likely there will be flooding for sure in Richmond if it happens since its below sea level and possible liquifaction.
  • edited February 2007
    and here I always tell my friend that I'll not live past 40.
    *rolleyes*
  • edited February 2007
    Well, they claim that the next window for when it's supposed to happen won't be until April 2008. There was a chance it could happen this week, but they claim we're good for now.

In any case, we're all going to die. I mean, let's be honest, an 8 or a 9 point quake, even off the Island, is going to level this city. Just look what the San Francisco quake did in '89 and that was a 7.1. So just pray to your Gods that you're nowhere near here when it hits.

Leave a Comment