To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Torrents

edited February 2007 in General
Torrents

I have some idea of what they are, but not completly.

What are they?

How do they work?

What do you need to get them?

Are they like a P2P network and have the same consequences?

How do I work/use them?

What is the risk?

Some of my friends download entire games from torrents, and I know you can use them for lots of other stuff, so please help me out here!

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Bt is a file sharing system. Just go download bitcommet, and then you can open torrent files with that. Once you got the program, then go to sites like torrentreactor, torrent spy and pirate bay and start downloading the torrent files. BT is the best, I haven't been to a movie theater in 2 years, I download them off BT. And I never pay for music as well. It is possible to catch virus, but if you got macafee or norton, it should be fine.
  • edited January 2007
    Bit Torrent is a novel approach to file distribution. Instead of relying on a busy, slow FTP or website for a bunch of files, Bit Torrent distributes the transfer of files over a network as large as the amount of people using it is. Bit Torrent is a refreshing piece of software, as it forces those who download to upload at the same time in order to continue spreading the file. On a regular website, in order to get the best speeds, it was wise not to tell others about the page. With Bit Torrent, YOU BENEFIT from a larger group of people knowing about a page like this. Bit Torrent pieces together the file you are downloading, to where the first part of a file you get may be the last part someone else gets. As you continue to retrieve the file, Bit Torrent also uploads data to other users - so the person with 98% of the file done is directed to the people with the 2% of the file they still need.

From a website.
  • edited January 2007
    i use torrents to download things these days. it's a lot faster for me to download large files (i.e. whole series of the sopranos :) )

the client i use is uTorrent, which in my opinion is very user friendly, and it doesn't use a lot of disk space. if you're using a firewall or a router, it's important to know how to open up a certain port to your router's virtual server. the port number must match the port number specified in uTorrent.

then i go to torrent sites like torrentspy to find torrent files. download them, open them with ur client and voila...things should get downloading pretty quickly.
  • edited February 2007
    If you want to download music oink.me.uk is one of the best music sites out there. I have like 10 invites so if you want one just give me your email and I'll invite you. It's hard to maintain a good share ratio on that site though so you can get banned like easily.
  • edited February 2007
    noname said:
    If you want to download music oink.me.uk is one of the best music sites out there. I have like 10 invites so if you want one just give me your email and I'll invite you. It's hard to maintain a good share ratio on that site though so you can get banned like easily.
    send me an invite please! my email is [email]jgl5@sfu.ca[/email]. thanks :smile:
  • edited February 2007
    jer3 said:
    send me an invite please! my email is [email]jgl5@sfu.ca[/email]. thanks :smile:
    sent! enjoy the free music.

Leave a Comment