To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

tips to increase the concentration

edited October 2006 in General
Top Ten tips to increase the concentration

1. Start assignments with some curiosity about the material and a positive attitude toward learning.

2. Designate a place where you go only to study. Use proper lighting.

3. Identify your distractions. Find ways to decrease them or to postpone them until study breaks (e.g., taking the phone off the hook, turning off instant messenger).

4. Decrease noises around you while studying. If you need some background music it should be soft. Keep the TV off.

5. Use "active study" techniques: sit straight in a chair at a desk, start out with questions about the material, outline chapters, underline key phrases after reading a section, write notes in margins, ask yourself what you have learned.

6. Divide your work into smaller manageable tasks that can be completed in a short period of time. Push yourself to complete one small task, then move on to the next task. Focus on one small task at a time.

7. Use times of peak alertness for studying difficult or less interesting topics. When you are tired or hungry concentration will be lowered.

8. When your mind starts to wander come up with some cue words to say to yourself (e.g., "Focus." "Get back on task.") to focus your concentration again.

9. Take breaks when you have completed tasks or when you feel concentration has decreased. Breaks should be approximately 10-15 minutes.

10. If you have other assignments or issues on your mind write them down on a "to do" list or take a small step to deal with them. Then get back to focusing on the task at hand

Students can increase their concentration by doing exercises and yoga in the morning. One of the best tips being tried by many Indian students to increase their concentration is Brahmari pranayam.

To practice it -

1.) Sit in a relaxed posture

2.) Take a deep breath inside

3.) Close both of your eyes using your index and middle finger

4.) Close your nose with your third finger

5.) Close your ears with your thumbs

6.) Exhale slowly

Comments

• edited September 2006
    An idea a physics teacher gave to our class is to have a piece of paper and put a mark everytime your mind wanders from studying. He says over time the number of ticks will decrease cos you will become more conscious of it. Haven't tried it myself but it might be true... :)
  • edited September 2006
    I like that idea - but I think it would be just as easy to start thinking about how many marks you've made so it may be a catch-22.

For me, mornings are always better. Studying at night only makes me want to go to sleep.
  • edited September 2006
    11. Have a smoke before hand and sip on a glass of scotch during your assignment.
  • edited October 2006
    those were some eye opening tips, thind, nice post
  • edited October 2006
    I agree with most of the things you said but that last thing that Indian kids do to increase concentration is just weird.
  • edited October 2006
    thats the exercise done by them to increase concentration nothing special about it. you can google that one.
  • edited October 2006
    In the class most of us hardly concentrate on topics going on. To increase concentration at that point you can write down the important thing from lecture that would help you to be attntive in the class.
  • edited October 2006
    Tipz... they help me a loadz....
    Avoid exciting activities just before you start to study.
    At the beginning of a study period, spend a few minutes to calm and relax your mind and body. (Try 'Focus on Your Breath' exercise, below.)
    Be positive! Believe in your ability to overcome any challenges.
  • T.S
    edited October 2006
    there is puzzle to increase your cocentration a little
  • edited October 2006
    keymaker said:
    Tipz... they help me a loadz....
    Avoid exciting activities just before you start to study.
    At the beginning of a study period, spend a few minutes to calm and relax your mind and body. (Try 'Focus on Your Breath' exercise, below.)
    Be positive! Believe in your ability to overcome any challenges.
    sounds reasonable

and what puzzles would you be talking abuot T.S.

Leave a Comment