To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

HI

w2k
edited January 2007 in General
New person here. My name is Will / 24/M. fourth yr physical geography/ SIS. Today is actually my first time posting on this forum. It is a great place for sfu ppl to chat. I actually found this site from a email somewhere I believe in the summer last year at work coop, I registered then but never bothered to post since I can't post public at work coop.

This sem, Im finishing up chem122 and doing coop at the same time. Not that fun at all!

Anyways, catch you all later.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Awesome, I've made some good friends since I joined last fall so I think you'll like it... Its hard to talk to people at school but its so easy on here hey!

Anywyas, good luck with chem 122 its not as hard as it first seems :wink:

See you around
  • edited January 2007
    Hi Will :) Welcome to the site

What does SIS stand for, if you don't mind me asking?
  • edited January 2007
    Hi Will welcome! Glad to see that you are able to do some posting this time around... maybe you can give people some tips about co-op who are considering it!
  • edited January 2007
    welcomeeee
  • w2k
    edited January 2007
    Royal Gala said:
    Hi Will :) Welcome to the site

What does SIS stand for, if you don't mind me asking?
    SIS = spatial information systems

Its a certificate that invovles some cartography, spatial analysis, remote sensing, and geographic information systems (GIS). Too complicated to explain I think ill just do some cut and paste. :angel:

Spatial Information Systems offers a broad education in geography concentrating on the theories and technologies of geographical data acquisition, processing and interpretation. The Major prepares students for many careers requiring extensive knowledge of the principles and applications of spatial science, including image processing, remote sensing, geographic information systems, and spatial modelling.

Many students find that knowledge of spatial information science opens doors to positions in corporations and government agencies, which depend increasingly on geographical information systems to store and analyze spatial data. Applications include data management and modelling in fields as diverse as demographics, resource and environmental management, health geography, and tourism.
    Cartography, spatial analysis, remote sensing, and geographical information systems (GIS) are the four principal sub-disciplines of the stream.

Cartography comprises the practice of data visualization, map design and production, and principles of cartographic communication.

Spatial analysis is the analysis and interpretation of digital data representing terrain and attributes on the surface of the earth.

Remote sensing of the earth's surface from planes and satellites is the primary source of the geographical data used in spatial information science. Courses in remote sensing examine the acquisition, processing and interpretation of remotely sensed images.

Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is the theory and practice of data management, modeling and visualization. GIS integrates hardware, software and spatial analysis in the analysis of geographical phenomena.
  • w2k
    edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    Hi Will welcome! Glad to see that you are able to do some posting this time around... maybe you can give people some tips about co-op who are considering it!

COOP is great. You get a feel for what kind of job you will be basically doing in the future, not to mention you gain work experience, network, and $$$.
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks for visiting Will, nice to see another scien-tist around here.

I've heard nothing but good things about coop I am definitely going to check ti out!

Leave a Comment