To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Is it true...

edited January 2007 in General
That if you freeze grapes they have no calories...?

Comments

• edited January 2007
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "no". It's not like grapes have all that many calories to begin with. They're, what, like 90% water?
  • edited January 2007
    Is it true that eating celery gives you "negative calories" because it provides less energy than it takes to eat it? If so, I think I should start eating some!
  • edited January 2007
    Here's some info about celery.

And I would say that the grape rumour is not true as freezing something does not remove calories, it simply changes the properties of the water in the food.
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah....I was inclined to say no...because I thought calorie content is something constant in a food, regardless of its temperature...kinda like saying a Big Mac is less fattening if you eat it frozen/liquified...
  • edited January 2007
    no.. grapes have a same amount of calories frozen or unfrozen.. after all.. they're still grapes.. think about it..
  • edited January 2007
    well maybe since they're frozen the body has to work to make it normal temperature therefore burning more calories?! lol

im going out on a limb here, i didnt take bio anything ever
  • edited January 2007
    Sorry had to ask, my girlfriends been buggin me since high school that its true hehe
  • edited January 2007
    flo-ra said:
    Is it true that eating celery gives you "negative calories" because it provides less energy than it takes to eat it? If so, I think I should start eating some!
    yuppp, it's negative calories because its mostly made up of cellulose fibre, which we can't digest, so it basically "sweeps" out our system. But, unfortunately, it takes away very very few calories...

:smile:

Leave a Comment