To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Who Do You Admire? Who is Your Role Model?

edited January 2007 in General
It's so easy to bash people like musicians, actors, profs, politicians, parents, peers, etc... But who are the people you admire? And why?

What makes someone so impressive that you want to be like them? How did they make a difference for you? What traits do they possess?

Remember that it's likely that everyone will choose someone different, and you may not agree with them!

So, who do you admire? Who is your role model?

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Bush
    everyone hates him but he keeps on going, he's awesome!
  • edited January 2007
    Never really went for role models. But there's plenty of people with whom I'd love to have love children.

Sub. Com. Marcos comes to mind.

1995.jpg

So does Rosa Luxembourg

Rosa009.jpg

Emma Goldman.

photo%20emma%20goldman%20mugshot.jpg

And an honorable mention for Howard Zinn.

zinn.jpg

PICTURES ARE FUN!
  • edited January 2007
    against all odds...the real life Superman...a billion dollars for something he truly believes in...

_41338053_arms270.jpg

to never let anyone get in your way and stand for everything you believe in

eminem.jpg
  • edited January 2007
    That's great, guys! The pictures are an awesome idea too.

For me I'd have to say my grade 5 teacher, Ellyn Francis. Honestly the best person I've ever met and she continues to have a long-distance effect on my adult life as well! I found her recently in England where she is winning awards for her genealogy work and we've been emailing each other. She helped me through a bad time when my parents were planning a divorce. One of my best childhood memories is when she brought her telescope to my house and we watched a meteorshower. And she taught with such ease, we all laughed so much in that classroom! She's influenced me to become a teacher because I know what a difference she made on my life and I hope that I can help just one child that way.
  • edited January 2007
    People I admire:

Che Guevara
    che-habano.jpg

2pac
    2pac.jpg

Ghenkis Khan
    782-20040723144558.jpg
  • edited January 2007
    That's quite the assortment there. I have to say that little vest Pac is wearing cracks me up.
  • edited January 2007
    Somehow it seems weird that Ghengis Khan looks so cute...
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah, my biggest influence is definitely Eminem...
  • edited January 2007
    I admire ROCKY!!! YAY!!!!

Rocky Balboa: Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!

It's that just all inspiring!!!

Oh...you can't for get about BRUCE LEE!!!!!

Bruce Lee: “Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable.”

Bruce Lee: “Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”
  • edited January 2007
    I admire those who sacrifice the enjoyment of their own lives for the betterment of society/humanity. I think its one of the most difficult things anyone can do but without sacrifice, society would not have progressed to where it is now

I'd have to say, I look to scientists and researchers for inspiration such as Freud, Bowlby, Ainsworth, Piaget...and others who spent their whole lives learning about human behaviour and tendencies so that we can understand ourselves better

Leave a Comment