To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Cold/Flu - Coping Methods

edited April 2007 in General
I always manage to get sick at this time of year! Riding transit and being near children makes it really easy to pick up a range of colds, flus, etc...

You know how it is when you get sick, you get all cranky and achy and just want to sleep all day. And I don't want to be sneezing all through my classes!

What are your coping methods when you get sick? I've been taking cough & cold pills all day and nothing seems to work! I do drink some NeoCitran before bed and that at least helps me get through the night.

Any tips or tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2007
    drugs
  • Pro
    edited January 2007
    plenty of frickin sleep.
  • edited January 2007
    It's hard to sleep when the contents of your sinuses are running down your throat. :sad:
  • edited January 2007
    stay off the 145.
  • edited January 2007
    illicit said:
    stay off the 145.
    haahahahahahahah
  • edited January 2007
    Whenever I feel a cold coming, I just drink lots and lots of water... and then it usually goes away before it even comes haha.
  • edited January 2007
    flo-ra said:
    Whenever I feel a cold coming, I just drink lots and lots of water... and then it usually goes away before it even comes haha.
    you forgot to throw in

stay off the 145.
  • edited January 2007
    I duno about you guys, but sometimes.... i actually like being sick :)
    stay home from work, get your frends to take your notes, dun have to go to the gym, your parents let you watch whatever you want on tv, ppl bring you food while youre in bed!!!! hehehe, its basically a ticket that'll get you outa n e thing .. have fun guys!
  • Pro
    edited January 2007
    haha not if you have stuff due
  • edited January 2007
    lots of drugs and lots of sleep....then repeat :)
  • edited January 2007
    The last time I was sick my doctor told me to take Advil instead of Tyleno. He didn't give me a prescription. Are you taking a prescription right now?
  • edited January 2007
    Nope, I avoid the doctor when I'm sick because I've been medicated incorrectly in the past (a few times... stupid crappy clinic) and it creates a hell of a lot MORE problems!

The docs at the SFU clinic are awesome, though, for the record!

And sometimes it is nice to be sick and have a reason to be lazy, but my boyfriend is out of town so I don't have anyone to take care of me! Bah!
  • Pro
    edited January 2007
    yeah i have to agree the docs at sfu are so thorough at examining you!
  • edited January 2007
    Neo-Citran and Halls. And of course laying about in bed a lot.

:smile:
  • edited January 2007
    ....what happens to the traditional way...

Rest?
  • edited January 2007
    Neocitran every 3 hours - after this u'll have no cold but there will be some muscle ache =)
  • edited January 2007
    Every 3 hours?! That's definitely an OD... Sounds like it'd cause more problems than it'd solve?
  • edited January 2007
    i'm dying right now at work...due to my effing cold ><
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    Every 3 hours?! That's definitely an OD... Sounds like it'd cause more problems than it'd solve?
    It works well this way-better some muscle ache for an evening than something running from nose for a week =)
  • edited January 2007
    Don't want to get sick...just don't go to class and stay at home. Get all your notes email to you from your friends that are in your classes and study at home!
  • edited January 2007
    A regular dose of Neocitran already makes me feel woozy... It'd be one heck of a party to take that much of it... haha
  • edited January 2007
    you know what works..

play sports!!!..

i played basketball when i was sick and when i went home, i felt really tired, so i went to sleep and guess what?..when i woke up..i was GOOOOOOOD!
  • edited February 2007
    *sigh* I'm sick AGAIN. Stupid transit.

My temp keeps going up. I'm at 101 right now... how high will it go? I'll be taking bets. :wink:
  • edited February 2007
    i got sick last week. i think my mom gave it to me cuz i was nowhere near sick ppl at school.

and i've NOT been sick for 13 months... i broke my record last week.

and i honestly don't care if the person sitting behind me is coughing or sick or whatnot, as long as they don't cough AT me.

strong immune system ftw! :P
  • edited February 2007
    Holy crap the flu SUCKS this year. I really don't recommend it. :sad:

Thus far I've missed my friend's birthday party, an easy eve of babysitting (aka kids go to bed before I get there) and a meeting with the TalkSFU admins tomorrow. *sigh* Plus I've been fantastically unproductive... sleeping most of the day (and not at night... bah), and definitely not getting any midterm studying done. Ack!

I just I'd be able to breathe through my nose again. I thought we had two nostrils so they wouldn't both get clogged at once?!

It's my third day of feeling like crap and I want to throw myself under a bus...
  • edited February 2007
    oh that sucks for ya, try to get more sleep, your body works best when its sleeping
  • edited February 2007
    Plugged in the humidifier last night near my head while I slept. It made a HUGE difference! My throat isn't nearly as sore today.

Also, mixing up a cup of hot water, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of baking soda, then gargling with it (don't swallow!), really helps the sore throat.

If anyone has ideas to get rid of nasal congestion, I'm all ears....
  • edited February 2007
    I don't understand why people here (Canada or maybe just Vancouver) seem to get sick all the time! Like there's some people I know who are prepetually sniffling, coughing wrecks. I get one cold a year, tops. And I'm far from a health freak, far from it. I really don't understand.

It has to be genetic or something, because I don't think the lifestyle people lead here is any worse or better than those of the Europeans. Well, maybe the junk food or something, but still.
  • Pro
    edited February 2007
    maybe the buses are cleaner in other parts of the world
  • edited February 2007
    I am one of those sniffling, coughing wrecks! Granted I got extremely sick in grade 9 and my immune system has been a disaster ever since. At that time, I got the flu, followed by whooping cough, followed by pneumonia. I was out for a few months with that trio! Whooping cough is by far the worst thing that's happened to me and I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy...

Needless to say, my lungs are especially bad. Usually anything that I catch winds up giving me pneumonia... And most bacterial throat/nasal infections find themselves in my stomach after the sniffles pass. So I get a week of the cold, then a week of barfing. Yeah-woo... that's fun. :|

And I'm an active person too. And I eat pretty good. I'm with you in that it's something genetic cuz I try very hard to keep myself healthy...

Leave a Comment