To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Using the computer to watch TV?

edited January 2007 in General
Does anyone here have experience watching tv using your computer monitor as a display device? No, YouTube doesn't count. I'm talking about plugging that coax cable into your computer or monitor and watching the Canucks beat the Senators 2-1 on channel 22 (Sportsnet).

Why do I ask? The home office is in the bedroom. If a new computer setup is somewhere in my near future, wouldn't it be nice to use the new box & monitor to display a tv signal? Then I could leave cookie crumbs in bed while I watch tv.

Are there LCD monitors with built-in tv tuners and an accompanying remote control? That would seem like the simplest issue. I already have a VCR for recording programs; I don't think a PVR would be of much use to me.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    I'm sure someone else can answer this better than I can, but there are TV tuners that you can get. Sometimes they are included with graphics cards, at least that's what we used to have.

We do it the opposite way, with a computer hooked up to our TV. :smile:
  • edited January 2007
    LCD monitors - PP ( picture in picture ) you can have the small little square in the bottom right with tv in that square and your computer work in the background. Definitely those functions are out but they're at a hefty price.

those are about 500+

if you don't need that function, plenty of monitors are out right now with TVtuner functions where you can use a TV output towards your monitor, may be termed as DVI output etc. These monitors range from 17" to 40" depending on how big you'd like it to be.
    (40", use a wireless desktop set, you can sit on the bed doing all your computer stuff with a 40" monitor/tv)

also what you can do is get an ADS tv tuner add-on. Look under this page http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_i_results.asp?txtSearch=instant+tv

or you can try something like this
    http://www.ahusoft.com/

i have it, it's not bad. advantage is you don't need to buy no special monitors/cables/cards, but you do have to pay for a subscription but pm me for more info ;)
  • edited January 2007
    hey man...yea the lcd is an option,..but if u got a normal monitor,..than get the tv tuner card...50 - 150 bucks (AVI) at Future shop

i have it...its great
    plug in the coax...watch tv as ur desktop background or just in a corner...record the stuff u watch, take pics it'll definetely help u kill time and not study...

cheers

Leave a Comment