To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

I have a QUESTION....

edited January 2007 in General
Do we have any sort of chat room kinda thing on here at all? As far as i can see, we dont have one. I dont know if this question has been asked in the past or not.

Another question, if we had a chat room type of thing, would you guys actually use it or are you all too busy studying? hahahahaa

Comments

• edited January 2007
    sure why not :) sounds fun
  • edited January 2007
    IRC! I don't know how to set up an IRC server though, so we could just use another service... :smile:. Yeah, I'd be there when I had time.
  • edited January 2007
    yeah, I think the IRC server would be easiest... don't even need to set up a server ourself, just set up a channel... just need some people to start off with and to get all our L's and stuff (that is if anyone is understand what I am saying)

but yeah, I'm down... :)

you guys want me to start one?
  • edited January 2007
    The only issue with IRC (and it isn't a major one) is that you need separate client software. Anybody got a recommendation? I know of mIRC, but I think it costs money :smile:, although it's only $20USD for a life-time license.
  • edited January 2007
    nope, mIRC is FREE... FREE =)
    you only have to pay for the license IF you don't the 2second pop up screen in the begining when you start up... and anyway, you can find loads of usernames and passwords that work for IRC anyway...
    so yeah, it's free...

But I need other people in it too, because I need people to just idle there so that we can get a Q (that's the bot that doesn't let just anyone take over the channel...)
  • edited January 2007
    A chatroom is in the works right now, as well as some other really great changes!

I don't know a whole lot about it yet, or when the changes will happen, but there have been talks about it. And it looks like there is some interest for a chatroom as well, so that may speed things along. :smile:
  • edited January 2007
    I don't mind idling in IRC, I'm online all the time anyway.

I say we set up a channel in Undernet, I find it's the most stable.
  • MaNiCkGeEk
    agrees :smile:
    edited January 2007
    /me agrees :smile:
  • edited January 2007
    /server irc.gamesurge.net

/me thinks that it'll disturb the activity of the forum. things will be discussed on mIRC rather than the forum, where some people may be left out etc.

what i would actually suggest is at the top, have a little shoutbox thing. i'm not too sure what the technical name really is, but it's a small chatbox at the top of the webpage etc and you can post messages and it updates every time you reload the page. seen it on xanga and other websites etc.
  • edited January 2007
    I think a chatroom is a good idea because sometimes you just want to find someone that you can chat with for a little while, but not about anything really worth starting a thread over.

I think if anything it will lead to more threads and more of a community feel that will spring from being able to chat with each other.

At least worth trying out!
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    I think a chatroom is a good idea because sometimes you just want to find someone that you can chat with for a little while, but not about anything really worth starting a thread over.
    PM system / MSN
  • edited January 2007
    I wouldn't want to be involved in PMs that went like this:

Person 1: Hey
    Person 2: Oh hi
    1: What's up?
    2: Not much
    etc
    etc
    etc

That's what chat is good for. Plus, while I talk to some people from this forum on MSN/ICQ, it would be easier for people to meet via chat.
  • edited January 2007
    SCREW IRC its for geeks

we should get a chat room sooner or later though... ahem admins
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    A chatroom is in the works right now, as well as some other really great changes!

I don't know a whole lot about it yet, or when the changes will happen, but there have been talks about it. And it looks like there is some interest for a chatroom as well, so that may speed things along. :smile:
    It's coming eventually!
  • edited January 2007
    johnny said:
    SCREW IRC its for geeks

yeah it's quite the technical, the difficulty is for most people to understand and we need people that can find us a channel/maintain it which isn't the easiest
    johnny said:

we should get a chat room sooner or later though... ahem admins
    aren't we discussing it now.

what if we use for now, say a joint msn conversation and see how that goes, see how many people will stay in the conversation/idle just like a chatroom before we head into anything serious such as setting up a IRC channel/chatroom.
  • edited January 2007
    Then again, if more people started posts in the forum we wouldn't have this problem...i think you guys are afraid to talk about your varying interests *raises psychological eyebrow*
  • edited January 2007
    A chatroom would be fun because you get to know people more personally there, in a way. You're able to chat to them in the room and then decide if you want to add them to your msn or not, or just simply talk to them in chat every now and then.

I dont think it'll take away from the forums at all. Forums are for certain issues that you want other ppl's advise on and what not. Chat rooms are more for just hanging out and chatting to ppl about your day or things that arent really thread worthy (as i think someone mentioned above already).

Im glad its in the works. I can hardly wait! :smile:
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We've considered adding a chat room and think it is a great idea so we've decided to include it in the next upgrade of TalkSFU. As long as there is enough demand, we have no problem adding features such as this.

Hope everyone has started studying for midterms, they'll be here before you know it.
  • edited January 2007
    Raize said:

Hope everyone has started studying for midterms, they'll be here before you know it.
    *shakes fist
  • edited January 2007
    Raize said:

SHUT UP!

=)

Leave a Comment