To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Pets

edited January 2007 in General
What kinda pets do you guys keep? Currently I keep a tank of fishes but I wanna get a pitbull once I get my own place. I know the dangers of having a pitbull but I believe with proper training s/he'll be fine.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    I have a cat named Tak (in my avatar image). I got her a few months after my boyfriend and I moved in together. She's absolutely mental, but can be really sweet from time to time! Cats are a constant source of entertainment!

I also have a tank with a couple fish in there. They've lived the longest of any fish we've ever had! I have bad luck with fish and it seems the more I try to keep them from dying the faster they go... So I kind of let these ones be and just feed them.

When we move to Vancouver Island once I finish school, I want to get a couple of dogs. I'm absolutely enamored with the Basenji breed, so I want one of those for sure. But I also love the Shiba Inu, so we will probably get one of each!

a_basenji.jpg

And about pitbulls, I grew up with those dogs! They are absolutely WONDERFUL dogs. Very loyal and happy. They get a bad rap, but that's because the types of people who choose those dogs are typically teetering on the edge of the law anyway, and want a viscous animal to protect them. So yeah, they train them to be mean!

But I can tell you that with the right owners, they are fantastic to have around. My brother and I used to ride on them when we were kids, and they used to play very gently with our kittens. Be warned, you must have a very dominating personality and be very firm with pitbulls or they will take the lead in the relationship! And remember that like all large, powerful dogs, they must be properly controlled when in public. Please don't let your dog be another sad pitbull statistic that puts a stain on a wonderful breed of dog...

And let me know if you get him/her as a puppy so I can come see. Pitbull puppies are my favourite!
  • edited January 2007
    we got a cat

and a giant yellow koi fish outside
  • edited January 2007
    I have no pets =( I used to have a bunny and a turtle. The bunny died after a week I got it, and the turtle ran away when I wasn't watching (no joke, those things move fast). I want a dog!!
  • Pro
    edited January 2007
    flo-ra said:
    I have no pets =( I used to have a bunny and a turtle. The bunny died after a week I got it, and the turtle ran away when I wasn't watching (no joke, those things move fast). I want a dog!!

hahaha did you ever try to race the turtle and the bunny and see who finishes first?
  • edited January 2007
    my moms...
    2 cats, dog

at my dads..
    2 cats, fish
  • edited January 2007
    Pro said:
    hahaha did you ever try to race the turtle and the bunny and see who finishes first?
    Haha that's funny, I've never thought of that before! But I didn't have them at the same time.
  • edited January 2007
    flo-ra said:

i wonder how long it would take b4 somthing happens to the dog...if u get one lollll:omg:
  • edited January 2007
    i have a maltese poodle. i love him to pieces...and he's a smart one :) my favourite trick to do with him is to shoot him with a "gun" and say "bang!" and he drops to his side and plays dead.
    and he's quiet when we want him to be...not like some other small dogs.

Here's a picture of him :)
  • edited January 2007
    aw cute :)
  • edited January 2007
    Cute dog! =) I want a dog like Nichie Richie's... anyone know what breed it is?
  • edited January 2007
    my lovelies
    magnificent B, triple, jimmy and flora
  • edited January 2007
    H a h a .
  • edited January 2007
    to the person who started the thread:

going from goldfish to a pitbull slight change their eh
  • edited January 2007
    Awww Flora, your dog is so cute!
  • edited January 2007
    2 cats for me...I've recently discovered just how mental cats get over laser pointers. It's a fairly consistent source of entertainment, particularly when my cat tries to bite the little point of light and then gets his head in the way of the beam so it disappears. Then he sits there for a few minutes with his head darting back and forth trying to figure out where it went :smile:.
  • edited January 2007
    2 chinchillas for me!!!!!!!
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    Awww Flora, your dog is so cute!
    I don't have a dog?? Are you making fun of me?! :omg:

:tongue:
  • edited January 2007
    I've always wanted a rottweiler, I wanna train him like a police dog, like tackling down a guy in a bite suit or jump over fences and stuff like that. I was gonna buy a puppy at a breeder last year but the thing cost $1200, I don't have the money and the time at the moment, so I never got around to it.
  • edited January 2007
    johnny said:
    to the person who started the thread:

going from goldfish to a pitbull slight change their eh
    Yeah. Definitely. I actually have African Cichlids not golfishes. I also had two cats before but they didn't really get along with my mom's plants so I had to give them away.
  • edited January 2007
    flo-ra said:
    I don't have a dog?? Are you making fun of me?! :omg:

:tongue:
    haha Whoops! I meant Meesh.

Can you tell it's been a long week?! :smile:
  • edited January 2007
    a venus flytrap would be pretty sick wouldn't it

they don't live in our climate though do they..?
  • edited January 2007
    Yup, they used to sell them at Home Depot!
  • edited January 2007
    im stroking mine as we speak
  • edited January 2007
    Triple said:
    im stroking mine as we speak
    what a lucky pussy 'cat'

Leave a Comment