To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Book Club - Novels, Authors, Discussion, etc.

edited January 2007 in General
I'm hoping that at least some of us here still have the time/will to read for pleasure once in a while!

Even though I can't read as many books for fun right now as I do when school's out, I still keep a novel in my bag with all my notes and texts so that I can unwind for two minutes before lecture starts or while I wait for the bus.

So, what are you reading now? Who is your favourite author? Or authors? What have you been wanting to read but can't find the time? Favourite books from childhood/highschool? Etc, etc, etc...

"We read to know we're not alone" - C.S. Lewis

Comments

• edited January 2007
    1931561753.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Currently I'm reading 'Dermaphoria' by Craig Clevenger. I really enjoyed his first novel, 'The Contortionist's Handbook', so I thought I'd give this one a try.

Thus far, it's pretty freaking crazy. I'm on the third chapter but you really don't know what's going on. The protagonist is having crazy flashbacks and there is tons of insect symbolism that makes my skin crawl. Clevenger is a crazy visceral writer... This book is a REALLY big break from all the English Lit I've been reading for class. It's nice to read some funky modern fiction to mix up your brains a bit.
  • edited January 2007
    I was reading The Procastinator's Guide to Success by Lynn Lively like a month ago. But I stopped reading it after reading half the book. I might go back to reading it this month when I stop being lazy. Yeah, I already forgot most of the stuff I read already so I might have to skim through the parts that I did read to refresh my mind.
  • edited January 2007
    hahah That's so ironic that you are putting off reading that book... :wink:

Was what you did read any good?
  • edited January 2007
    HAHAHA good job
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:

Was what you did read any good?
    I learned some new things even though I didn't quite finish the book yet. Like you're not procrastinating if you don't know what you have to do. When you don't know what you have to do, you're thinking not procrastinating.

The book was helpful in other ways. I did incorporate some of the ideas into an end of term research paper I wrote. The prof liked it that much that she ended up giving me an A- on it.
  • edited January 2007
    Nice! I might have to check it out. I'm getting a bit better with not procrastinating... but I still have an essay due in a week and a half that should be more finished than it is!

Leave a Comment