To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

how to break up?

edited January 2007 in General
well, i've been w/ my bf for over a yr now. but, it's just that there're some outside issues, which cant be solved. Well, we probably both know that we'll break up sooner or later, but i just want to end it soon, so it wont hurt us that badly later on. so, is there any ways that i can end this relationship without directly saying "let's break up." to him?

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Be honest the way you'd want someone to be honest with you. If there are too many issues and the relationship is essentially scrapped anyway, let him know that. Tell him that you do not see how these things can be resolved and you do not want either of you to spend any more time in a dead-end relationship.

It's a really difficult thing to do, but it will save both of you from some misery if you let it continue. If it's gotten this bad, I'm sure both of you will be happy if it's over!

And remember to learn from the mistakes in this relationship to make your next one so much better!
  • edited January 2007
    well.. there isn't an easy or an indirectly way to a break up.. a break up is nevertheless a break up and you can't avoid the fact that someone is going to be hurt... the only thing you can do is minimize this affect.. by being honest and patient.. give them time and space to accept the fact that things will be better off this way..
  • edited January 2007
    Six simple words: "I'm not gay, but I'll learn" --Homer Simpson
  • edited January 2007
    "take a break"
  • edited January 2007
    Well, it's not like trust is broken between us. I believe him and he believes me. But, it's just that he's a Christian, but Im not one. And apparently, he wants me to be one as well (we actually broke up once because of that). But, Im truly NOT into any religions (sorry if i offended anyone). I know this may sound silly, but the only problem that we're having is just that. Other than this religion thing, we're quite compatible with each other (eg, our personalities and stuff). So, do you guys think that I should have a break-up?
  • edited January 2007
    if religion is the main problem that's putting pressure on your relationship.. then you should really sit down and have a serious talk with him.. tell him how you feel about religion and that you have freedom and personal space that no one should be able to step into.. being a believer or not is entirely your decision and yours alone.. if he doesn't understand the fact that you can't force someone to be in a religion.. tell him that the relationship at stake and you will leave him if he doesn't learn how to respect your personal decisions.. see what he'll do about it.. and if the act keeps up you'll know that the man above is more important to him than you..
  • edited January 2007
    Well said, siuying!
  • edited January 2007
    I'm having the exact same problem with my girlfriend right now...word for word except she's a different religion. I knew throughout the relationship that it would become an issue sooner or later but I kept dragging it on because I love her so much. Now we're broken up and its hurting like hell. Basically, if its an issue that isn't going to go away, then ending it is the only (although hardest) option you have. After giving it time at least you can forge a friendship if you still care about each other.
  • edited January 2007
    tell her to join talksfu and send her the link to this thread.

Leave a Comment