To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Gung Haggis Fat Choy Festival - Jan 25

edited January 2007 in General
From my.sfu.ca:

"This 2nd annual event, blending Robbie Burns' Day and Chinese New Year is set for THURSDAY, JAN. 25th from 10:30am-2:30pm in CONVO MALL. New this year - Human Curling, Chopstick Structure Building AND attempting to set a record for the largest number of people eating HAGGIS at one time.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

TIME ACTIVITY

10:30 - 10:45 Introduction to Human Curling

10:45 -11:15 Human Curling + Awards

11:15 -11:30 Celtic Dance Club and Introduction to Dragon Cart Races

11:30 -12:15 Dragon Cart Races

12:15 - 12:30 Dragon Cart Awards

12:30 -1:00 Robbie Burns Day Ceremony

1:00-1:15 Sign up for Haggis Eating Contest

1:15-1:20 Haggis Eating Contest

1:20 -1:30 Kung Fu Club Lion Dance and Introduction to Dragon Cart Races

1:30 -2:30 Dragon Cart Races

2:30 - 2:45 Dragon Cart & Chopstick Structure Building Awards

NOTE: There will be other displays, performances and activities happening throughout the day, between main events!"

More information available online at SFU Recreation's Special Events Page

Sadly I am unable to go as the festival coincides exactly with my class schedule... :sad: However if anyone else is going, give a shout out here and maybe a group of TalkSFUers can meet up there!

One funny thing that I noticed is that they expect the Haggis Eating to last a whopping 5 minutes. Description of haggis from Wikipedia.org

"Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish. Although there are many recipes, it is normally made with the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver, and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately an hour. It somewhat resembles stuffed intestines (pig intestines otherwise known as chitterlings), sausages and savoury puddings of which it is among the largest types. Most modern commercial haggis is prepared in a casing rather than an actual stomach. There are also meat-free recipes specifically for vegetarians which supposedly taste similar to the meat-based recipes."

Anyway, if you are planning on going, or if you need people for your Human Curling or Dragon Cart teams, post here!

Comments

• edited January 2007
    man i just barfed when i saw that picture of haggis
  • edited January 2007
    Turducken still gets my vote for "worst food ever involving animals, parts of animals and occasionally whole kingdoms of animals"

In short, it's a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken, all of which are deboned then wrapped inside of each other like some twisted cross-species love triangle, which is then baked.

If you think that's disturbing, variations include numerous other birds varying from pigeons to geese to larks, and the whole disaster is often topped with slices of bacon before cooking.

Mmm... that's good gluttony. :wink:

Leave a Comment