To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

transit etiquette

edited January 2007 in General
feel free to add on

1. be aware of your backpack's spacial physics

2. don't stand in the doorways and think that hugging the railing somehow makes you no longer in the way.. maybe try getting the fuck off, holding the door, and getting back on when everyone is off

3. #2 w/backpack

4. getting off at the front of the bus is pretty fucking selfish unless you are above 70, handicapped, have a stroller (excluding those huge *SUV strollers), or no one is getting on. let's all wait an extra 15 seconds so some lazy piece of shit can hold up the natural flow of bussery. *(SUV strollers should be banished to the desert)

5. don't captain your seat and put your bag on the inside seat unless the bus is less than three quarters full. if you are making people stand so you can not brush jackets with them i want to strangle you with a next stop pulley cord.

6. don't end your innerbus commute in the courtesy seats. you keep moving to the back until you find a seat or hit a wall of people*. maybe these people enjoy having various groins and asses squeeze past them? maybe they can't feel the penetrating glares of the sardines in front of them? maybe they don't understand that "please move to the back of the bus" sound that keeps going off for some reason? (* exception to this rule: the standing room beside the two seats on b-lines on the middle connector)

7. obesity is not a qualifier for courtesy seats, and does not exempt you from getting off at the back doors.

8. barricading the sidewalk while you're waiting for the bus isn't necessary

9. if you see a long line of people waiting for a bus and you're approaching from the side closest to the beginning of the line, you walk all the way to the back. yes, even if you can see the bus coming. we're watching you.

10. if you're going to be a goon and stand in the doorway of the skytrain, you are designated footjammer for the people you see sprinting to the train. within reason. i don't have all day.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    I almost forget this one:

11. girls when I smile at you don't look away in disgust. when I say hi you will say hi back. bitches.
  • edited January 2007
    TiNgLu_SiNgH said:

11. girls when I smile at you don't look away in disgust. when I say hi you will say hi back. bitches.
    ^ amen to that brother

12. When the bus driver says move to the back, move your ass to the back
  • edited January 2007
    13. if you have bo, please use deodorant/dont ride the public transit, u stink.
  • Pro
    edited January 2007
    amen.

14. you don't have to turn up the music on your ipod to max to hear it. or learn how to put on the earbuds properly then you don't need to turn it up to max. it's amazing how many people who have them cranked up loud and their earbuds are not even on right

15. phone calls to a minimum or keep them short. if you must speak on the phone at least try to keep your voice down. instead of shouting try speaker a bit closer to the mic
  • edited January 2007
    TiNgLu_SiNgH said:

HAHA ....

i dunt know about that...

you're just bitter that girls don't smile at you.....you're prolly one of those creepy guys try to pick up girls on the bus!~ :omg:
  • edited January 2007
    ^nothing wrong with that lol :smile:
  • edited January 2007
    TiNgLu_SiNgH said:

Uhm... that's the reason we girls look away. Anyone who's going to call us a bitch for not smiling at them deserves the look of disgust!
  • edited January 2007
    16. Please be aware of your stop's surroundings. If you're getting off a bus, and you see someone sprinting like hell to catch your bus before it steams off, hold the rear exit open or TELL THE DRIVER if you're getting off at the front. That way the driver won't roar off leaving a poor sucker behind. This also applies to people getting on. If you're getting on, look to your left and right to see if anyone's sprinting up to get on behind you. If so, TELL THE DRIVER.

Thanks.
  • Pro
    edited January 2007
    NukeChem said:
    16. Please be aware of your stop's surroundings. If you're getting off a bus, and you see someone sprinting like hell to catch your bus before it steams off, hold the rear exit open or TELL THE DRIVER if you're getting off at the front. That way the driver won't roar off leaving a poor sucker behind. This also applies to people getting on. If you're getting on, look to your left and right to see if anyone's sprinting up to get on behind you. If so, TELL THE DRIVER.

Thanks.

wouldn't this be in conflict with rule #4? :angel:
  • edited January 2007
    17. PREPARE for your stop. Racing and shoving people to get off of the bus with your 10 shopping bags as the doors start to close is only excusable if you are from out of town!
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    17. PREPARE for your stop. Racing and shoving people to get off of the bus with your 10 shopping bags as the doors start to close is only excusable if you are from out of town!
    or if they are smokin hot
  • Pro
    edited January 2007
    imelting said:
    or if they are smokin hot
    haha yes, hot people can get away with almost anything
  • edited January 2007
    i just hate the people that reek like burning hair on a turd.

or cigarette smell, makes me smell bad as well after a bus ride.
  • edited January 2007
    All that transit etiquette stuff you cited wouldn't fly in any other major city in Canada, so shut-up while I push my 300lbs ass to the front... with my backpack
  • edited January 2007
    If there's one request to make of fellow transit users - please do not use your cell phone inside the bus, unless it's an emergency. People tend to forget they are in public place and then start cursing and discussing private details on the phone to the delight or disgust of the entire bus.
  • edited January 2007
    lol oh god i almost fell ont he bus today...stupid bus driver didnt even wait for me to show him ym upass
  • edited January 2007
    I never use my phone while on the bus...because I know that everybody just starts eavesdropping on your conversation. Which is why I tend to only text message while I'm on the bus. Now here comes the rant:

This applies to anything really, but whether I'm reading/writing a text message, looking at the newspaper, or going through my textbook, please, PLEASE do not peak over my shoulder in an attempt to see what I'm doing. Yes, I know that you're doing it, and frankly, I find it rather creepy.
  • edited January 2007
    ^

hahahaha....dats funnny....maybe cz the bus ride is boring...wud you rather have them stare at ur face ...or look at ur newspaper?
  • edited January 2007
    puredaaan said:
    ^

hahahaha....dats funnny....maybe cz the bus ride is boring...wud you rather have them stare at ur face ...or look at ur newspaper?
    I think I'd rather have them stare out the window =P I mean, I occasionally take a look around the bus, 'cause the scenery gets boring after the 1000th time going up the mountain, but still, there's an overwhelming sense of discomfort when you know somebody's staring in your direction, or at something you're doing.
  • edited January 2007
    On that note, one good way to get people to stop talking on their phone is just to look at them constantly. You don't even have to glare, simply looking breaks down people's comfort-level and they will usually end their conversation pretty quickly. :wink:
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    On that note, one good way to get people to stop talking on their phone is just to look at them constantly. You don't even have to glare, simply looking breaks down people's comfort-level and they will usually end their conversation pretty quickly. :wink:
    not everyone has a deathstare jeeeeeez
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    You don't even have to glare
    ^
  • Pro
    edited January 2007
    they might think you're interested in them haha
  • edited January 2007
    ^give them a wink and you should find out haha
  • Pro
    edited January 2007
    haha and then yank their phone out of their hands and enter in my number
  • edited January 2007
    18. Take your stupid junky free "newspaper" off the bus with you and throw the damn thing out. No one else wants it, so don't leave it on your chair, the floor, or jammed in a corner. It was garbage before you took it from the newspaper pusher lady , and it's definitely garbage after 10 people have walked over it with wet shoes.

19. Poles on the bus are for people to hold onto with their hands. They are not for leaning on, especially if someone is already holding onto it. Do like the rest of us and learn to support your own bodyweight.

20. No, I don't want your wet umbrella touching my leg when you sit next to me. Deal with it.
  • edited January 2007
    the only problem with the getting off the bus to let others off is I know this guy who did that and then when he tried to get back on the bus driver got mad at him for getting on the back of the bus, made him get off and drove away

and the rule about smiling at others doesn't just go for guys to girls, if I smile at you, maybe it's someone that rides the same bus all the time, smile back!

Leave a Comment