To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Custom Courseware Woes...

edited February 2007 in General
I really hate having to buy custom courseware for courses. Not only is it WAY too expensive considering you're getting crappy photocopies, but you can't sell it back or even return it if you drop the course.

I bought the required courseware package for a Linguistics course last term, and while I did all the readings from it, we weren't tested on the material. And now I have the darn thing sitting here, reminding me that I spent so much money for nothing.

I'm taking a Fine Arts course this term that has a custom courseware package and I really don't want to buy the stupid thing. I know what articles are in it and I tried finding them online and at the library, but no luck. Does anyone know if the library loans out the courseware packages so I could just read it there? Or are there other tricks to avoid buying the frigging thing?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited February 2007
    borrow other people and make a copy? or u can always buy and resell it after
  • edited February 2007
    Ya just ask someone near you next time you go to class. Last semester for psych I offered to buy this chick sittin beside me coffee if she'd come wit me afta class to photocopy it...and she agreed :teeth: i got her number and a copy of her book can anyone say WIN WIN
  • edited February 2007
    Courseware pisses me off on general principle because the bookstore blames "copyright law" for iability to buy back courseware under any circumstances even though they've purchased the duplication rights. It turns out it's actually a contract-with-the-publishers-thing, and I find it annoying that they can't be bothered to tell the truth because they don't want to have to give up money on buying back courseware.
  • edited February 2007
    i'd try to see if the courseware is the same as the previous semester and buy it then.

but yea, i paid something like $70 for a thick history courseware once and we were never tested on it. i was not amused
  • edited February 2007
    Custom Courseware is a joke. I dont even read half of it most of the time.

Leave a Comment