To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

David Beckham is finished

edited January 2007 in General
After David Beckham signed that ridiculous contract with LA galaxy,he is officially washed out from the soccer world.
250 million for 5 years, the head of the club must hit some kind of billion dollar lottory in order to implement this deal. I don't see any value that even worth 100 million for that deal.Even if he is still good and is a huge brand, the LA galaxy team won't make a lot of money from Beckham because this is U*S*A, people don't care soccer at all. I think the GM of the team is better to buy a bunch of Beckham's Jersy himself otherwise he might be laid off soon.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    whatever, he's friggin awesome, 50 mill a year is godly.
  • edited January 2007
    i had no idea there was a Major League Soccer organization in the US?

but anyway, if i were beckham, i would do what he did. 50million a year...and he doesn't have to compete as hard (because lets be honest, the vast majority of talented soccer players come from europe...)
  • edited January 2007
    he joind the MLS, its like american soccer
    I guess they are trying to make soccer mainstream in north america, since its so big everywhere else... they'll probably make all their money back in ticket sales and stuff like that because of Bekham's popularity

everythings a business !
  • Pro
    edited January 2007
    they'll make a shit load too from merchandise

when he went to seattle in the summer for a friendly match it was a near sell out with like 67000-68000 people. so there is obviously a market for soccer in the usa
  • edited January 2007
    hes only like what 31 or whatever, far from being washed up.. certainly not the best soccer player in the world, i think this was more about fan recognition and exposure anyways
    dont see why ppl point the finger at him, he didnt write up the contact, he got offered that lol
  • edited January 2007
    point the figure at his god-like attributes!!
    its their fault, not his!
  • edited January 2007
    well.. i wouldn't say Beckham is finished.. this is still up for speculation.. he's been around for quite a while and his popularity hasn't grown weak with age.. and moving to USA means he can monopolize the American market.. i would say he made a pretty wise decision.. there's just too much competition in Europe..
  • edited January 2007
    MLS may be right, bringing Beckham to the league definitely gonna help the soccer polularity in US, but I still doubt if they can crawl out that 500 million dollar hole. I know the J-league(Japanese soccer league) has the trandition to invite some of the outdated soccer stars to their league and the result is tremendous to boost their soccer development. Americans sure got way more money, so we could probably see a rising power in the future soccer world.
  • edited January 2007
    Beckham will rise in the US, he is playing in the best market for a guy like him which is LA. Im sure the team will market him all over the place and sell out their stadiums. The guy is not washed up he can definatly still play and he should make alot of these guys in the MLS look bad.

Leave a Comment