To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Money CRUNCHING Bookstore

edited January 2007 in General
School bookstores make so much money off from us. Do you know that they earn 70% of the money we pay them. And when you do a buyback, they lie, you do not get 60% of the price you pay (40% is what you get).:angry:

Comments

• edited January 2007
    It's a good business. Should start a school bookstore for the Lower Mainland :)
  • edited January 2007
    They gave me a dollar back for a $20 book :(
    And $25 for my chem text that was over $100

I should've just kept it...
  • edited January 2007
    Often we get significantly less back for the books because they aren't using them in the coming semesters. So the wholesaler will buy them back at super-cheap prices...

The best thing you can do with your texts is try to sell it directly to someone who needs it. It saves both of you money! The TalkSFU forums are a good place to initiate these kinds of sales. The more people we bring to our forum the easier it will be to not only sell and buy textbooks, but to get advice and information about courses, profs and school in general!
  • edited January 2007
    holy hell did anyone else see that lineup for the bookstore today? :S
  • edited January 2007
    Oh jeez... I have one book I forgot to buy before the break. Boo... :(
  • edited January 2007
    i have to double check if i even bought the right book. LOL.
    damn lineups.
    but it shouldnt take that long.
    i'd say a good 20 - 30 mins will get you in seeing how it moved so fast today.
  • edited January 2007
    I'll just bring my DS and play me some Tetris while I wait.

Feel free to tap me on the shoulder if you see me there with one piddly textbook and a DS in my hands. :wink:
  • edited January 2007
    yeah i waited in line at the bookstore today. i went to the campus solely to get ONE book i forgot to get. the book looks like a novel but it cost me $90. it better be worth it.
    as for buybacks, i haven't sold any of my texts from last semester. i'm thinking i might use craigslist instead.

ps. i love your quote in your signature, Malakaii! one of my high school teachers thought that way too, and one of our projects was to go to a certain area of Vancouver and to take photographs of it. it was amazing:)
  • edited January 2007
    Hm I didn't think to check craigslist for texts, but that's a good idea!

And that's really neat that your highschool teacher encouraged photography. I started a photo thread in The Lounge... feel free to pop in and share some photos!
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    I'll just bring my DS and play me some Tetris while I wait.

Feel free to tap me on the shoulder if you see me there with one piddly textbook and a DS in my hands. :wink:
    I actually saw someone playing DS while waiting in line today. I didn't take a good look at the person, could it have been you?
  • edited January 2007
    Naw I wasn't there today! And tomorrow doesn't look good either. Wednesday is when I'll be there if anyone sees me!

My picture's in my profile if you're wondering what I look like. Of course it's kind of vague with my sunglasses on, but meh.
  • edited January 2007
    Oh jeez... FYI anyone considering hitting up the bookstore this morning: It's INSANE there and it wasn't even open yet. The line to get into the textbook section (which is on the BOTTOM FLOOR) was all the way up the stairs to the top floor. Madness!
  • edited January 2007
    i feel like a genious now that i somehow managed to get most of my books before the winter break lol
  • edited January 2007
    You should!

Sadly, my FPA instructor didn't get the custom courseware finished in time so now I HAVE to brave the icky crowds... ewwww....
  • edited January 2007
    imelting said:
    i feel like a genious now that i somehow managed to get most of my books before the winter break lol
    haha me too! i felt like a keener, but it was SO worth it!
  • edited January 2007
    Monopoly, pure monopoly, the only way to stop this crime is to get more people buy and sell their books on a speak free student forum just like here.
    Actually, not only the bookstore, look at all the cafeterias at SFU, they are all owned by one company, the greedy Chartwell, so in SFU, monopoly business is everywhere and it is kind of sad that we can't do much about it.
  • edited January 2007
    i personally dont mind selling back to the book store, its just a service they provide and for the convenience they discount the books heavily on return

im just too busy to hav to worry about posting somethin up.. getting contacted, meeting someone etc

easy to just take it all in, sell it back, and take my money and be done with it
  • edited January 2007
    Huh~sometimes it mignt not be a bad idea to just let it be.
    Why bother? At least we have a place to sell them back.
  • edited January 2007
    "SFU Bookstore" translated, means "Licence to print money".

They're like the oil companies when they try to "PROVE" that 1% of their inbound revenues is actually the profit so we don't lynch them after seeing gas prices at the pump.

1% of something big is still pretty big, and the bookstore needs to make a profit or it won't stay in business.

They clipped me $120 for the intermediate mechanics (PHYS 211) book and then paid me $20 on buyback. Then they'll resell it to some other poor sap for $120 and boost their profit margin that way.

Used books probably give the bookstore even better profits than new ones, judging from the fact that that seems to happen a lot.

Quad Books is where I would routinely resell my books first, and then only going to the bookstore if Quad wouldn't take 'em.

Leave a Comment