To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Terminal Illness

edited January 2007 in General
I was diagnosed with a terminal illness a while back but during that time I was in a denial phase and I didn't really want to face the problem although I did suffer from depression which had a major effect on my schooling. I even broke down in class once due to all the pressure and I think it put all my classmates in an extremely awkward position even though they acted really nice towards me. For the past couple of days, I have been getting weaker. I went to see my doctor today for a check up and she suggested that I see a counselor as no one else know's about my problem. Right now, it feels like I have been ripped off as I spent most of my life going to school and working part-time. I'm basically thinking of activities that I can still do before my body gets too weak to even do normal things. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I wanna take advantage of things while I'm still around.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    First off, I'd suggest seeing a counsellor either at school or somewhere else so you can work this through with a professional. It's totally understandable that you are feeling depressed because of this, and having someone to talk to about it will allow you to enjoy what you are able to do now!

Is there anything you had in mind? Big dreams or things that you've always wanted to try? Those would be the ones to pursue. I guess it depends on how long you have before it really knocks you down. But even small short-term goals can be extremely rewarding.

If you have some semi-specific things in mind I'm sure that there is someone around TalkSFU who can give you some great pointers. We're a pretty diverse crowd!

Cheers and thanks for sharing this with us. Hopefully we can help you out a bit.
  • edited January 2007
    You should relax and enjoy the little things in life... slow everything down and stay positive. its something you can't control but that doesn't mean its something you can't take advantage of.
  • edited January 2007
    P.S. We all have to go sooner or later
  • edited January 2007
    Hi,

Oh no, that's horrible. talking to a counsellor is a wonderful idea. I've spoken to a few in the past and they didn't so much as give me advice as listen for they are, after all, trained professionals. Also, unfinished business should be taken care of as they will provide closure

Leave a Comment