To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Start the Semester off Right?

edited January 2007 in General
Just wondering what everyone's tricks & tips are for starting off the Spring semester on the right foot?

It's the last weekend before we go back, and it looks like the traffic on TalkSFU has picked up. So lets share some ideas on how to get off to a great start!

Two things I can think of off the top of my head are:
- get the textbooks before the class starts and flip through them to be familiar with the material you'll learn this term
- put all the information from your course outlines into your agenda so you will be well-prepared for essays, quizzes and exams, as well as know when readings should be completed

Comments

• edited January 2007
    -Dont be shy and make lots of friends in your lectures and labs to fall back on when you need help in a certain class
  • edited January 2007
    That's a good point, Jimmy! It'd be a lot better for everyone if we went out of our way to be friendly and helped each other out in class. Studying with people from the course really helps to do well on exams!
  • edited January 2007
    If you're good friends with someone you might want to split the cost of a textbook for the class, and then split the buyback money (or one person could buy out the other person's half of the book, so to speak, when done...).
  • edited January 2007
    DON'T GET BEHIND IN ANYTHING
  • edited January 2007
    NukeChem said:
    If you're good friends with someone you might want to split the cost of a textbook for the class, and then split the buyback money (or one person could buy out the other person's half of the book, so to speak, when done...).
    I hadn't thought of that one before! Very smart.
  • edited January 2007
    Insatiable said:
    DON'T GET BEHIND IN ANYTHING
    Any ideas how to stay ahead on things? I agree that getting behind has a snowball effect... it just piles up and gets worse and worse... and is very difficult to tackle it all!
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    Any ideas how to stay ahead on things? I agree that getting behind has a snowball effect... it just piles up and gets worse and worse... and is very difficult to tackle it all!
    Read a designated amount during a particular period of time (e.g. 2 chapters a week) so when it comes to study time, you'll have everything read and just have to review.
  • edited January 2007
    Another suggestion for people taking Psychology classes with research participation requirements is to do it ASAP!! It's a nightmare trying to find research to participate in at the end of term, as well as worrying about essays and finals. So do it NOW and get a few easy marks!
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:

Read the schedule and finish the reading for that week before you come to class, as easy as that. Also highlight everything you think it's important. Read the notes after the lecture, make sure you understand everything up to this point, and read it before your next lecture. When it comes to exam time, review your notes and finish studying a day before exam....you can sleep well the night before, i tell you.
  • edited January 2007
    I just finished inputting all my course outline information (exams, essays, readings) into my Palm and Due Yesterday (a homework organizing program that automatically calculates grades!) and now I'm freaking EXHAUSTED. It took me a really long time and I had to do it this late because my power was out for 3 hours earlier.

It was only my first day and I already feel like keeling over. :(
  • edited January 2007
    Wow...wish I was that organized :smile:. The closest I get to that is punching in my class schedule into the Windows Calendar on my laptop

Leave a Comment