To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

CMPT 125 - Mitchell, CMPT 150 - Dixon

edited March 2007 in General
Has anybody taken these classes with these professors? What do u think about these courses and profs?

Comments

• edited January 2007
    I had a distance ed (CMPT 110) with Dixon but that hardly counts. I did send an e-mail once asking for help and he answered fairly promptly, if that helps.
  • edited January 2007
    I took 126 with Mitchell. He is boring, makes tons of mistakes on in lectures, and nit picks on little things in tests. Nevertheless, still was an easy class.
  • edited January 2007
    I took 126 with Mitchell as well, it was an easy class for me but he's a pretty boring prof.

Dixon's good, some people think he's boring but I find his lectures quite interesting. Sounds like you're in second semester Comp. Sci... I remember those days :) (I'm happy to answer any other Comp Sci course questions you have, just send me a PM)
  • edited January 2007
    MaNiCkGeEk said:
    I took 126 with Mitchell as well, it was an easy class for me but he's a pretty boring prof.

Dixon's good, some people think he's boring but I find his lectures quite interesting. Sounds like you're in second semester Comp. Sci... I remember those days :) (I'm happy to answer any other Comp Sci course questions you have, just send me a PM)
    Yes, I am in 2nd semester Comp.Sci. Today I had both CMPT125 and CMPT150. I fell asleep during last 15 minutes of CMPT150 lecture =)because of calculus early morning lecture plus Dixon's voice is so smooth. But I'll try to stay awake next time =)
    In what year are u now? And thanks-I'll definitely ask you some CompSci course questions :smile:
  • edited January 2007
    I'm in my 3rd year.

And don't worry about falling asleep...I've done that once or twice in Dixon's lectures, and in a few other lectures too (well...more than a few...:embarassed:...ah, 'tis the university life)
  • edited January 2007
    dixons the man!! had 150, 250 and 384 with him.
  • edited February 2007
    yeh ill agree with the part with making a lot of mistake part for Mitchell, yeh i had cmpt 126 today as we were going over recursion, oh joy... he wrote down return 2 + 3 =.. then follow by a little talk and quickly answered it like a pro..... by writing down 6...

i wasn't really paying attention at first but when 2 students in the back cracked up really hard, then i noticed it and thought it was quite humorous...

then he was not too happy afterwards.. hah =/
  • edited February 2007
    Mike^ said:
    yeh ill agree with the part with making a lot of mistake part for Mitchell, yeh i had cmpt 126 today as we were going over recursion, oh joy... he wrote down return 2 + 3 =.. then follow by a little talk and quickly answered it like a pro..... by writing down 6...

i wasn't really paying attention at first but when 2 students in the back cracked up really hard, then i noticed it and thought it was quite humorous...

then he was not too happy afterwards.. hah =/
    He surely wasnt happy :sad: Ithought he would laugh or smth like this-but it didn't happen.
    Did u have cmpt 150 also?
    I studied for cmpt150 midterm and i thought i understood material - but i think i failed =(
  • edited February 2007
    lol the damn mux and decoder part might have gotten me,, I'm hoping to get part marks ><
  • edited February 2007
    Last two questions were hard =( -i coudln't do matching cause it just didn't match! And question with NAND gates-that was an easy question and i did stupid mistake so it turned out wrong >_< It's going to be my first failed midterm..........and i hope it's the last failed midterm.
  • edited February 2007
    don't worry about, there is still time to redeem yourself, just don't fail the final.
  • edited February 2007
    I'll try not to...
  • edited February 2007
    I didn't fail =), but still my marks is really low.
  • edited March 2007
    I am in 150 with Dixon now, he is a good prof, but I am not too fond of that class.

I did 126 with Mitchell last semester and I am not too fond of him. He only knows enough Java to teach it so you can't really ask him any questions. He also is highly unorganized and his assignments where a mess in trying to figure out what he wants because he has so many errors.

Now J. Liu is by far one of the greatest Comp Sci professors.
  • edited March 2007
    I agree JC.Liu is awesome!!!

Leave a Comment