To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

How do you study?

Do you go to all the lectures? 
How do you memorize a lot of material?
When do you start studying for exams, what do your study sessions consist of (review, learning etc)
What are the best types of notes to take?
What is the hardest and easiest class you took at SFU?
What is your GPA? Is it different compared to your first year? 

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Yes, basically. I try to, at least. Out of my entire university career I only missed three lectures, and all three of them was in the same year.

Go to all lectures and listen attentively, do all the homework, if any, and go through everything I need to memorize during exam study period. Premise is that by hearing and seeing something multiple times, it makes it easier to memorize. I remember one teacher in high school said something like a person has to hear something three times to remember it. Obviously not completely true, but the idea is probably correct, which is why I suspect the go to class/lecture, do homework and study then test/exam is a common format in many state-based education systems.

When do you start studying for exams, what do your study sessions consist of (review, learning etc)
    I often start much later then I should. I'm always cramming which is not good at all and I could do much better with less pain and fewer all-nighters if I started earlier and studied consistently and regularly over a span of several days. I usually start studying two days (sometimes less, which is terrible!!!) before an exam. Study sessions consist of going through my notes from lecture and any other necessary or helpful material (e.g., lecture slides, readings/articles, tutorial notes, past assignments or homework etc.).

Subjective question, but for me I usually type them, in bullet-point format with diagrams if necessary (rare). Not sure if this is the best way to take notes, even for myself, but it's what I am accustomed to and do for several reasons: I believe in technology replacing old conventions, I type super fast, my handwriting is very messy, I can read typed notes easier, I don't need pen or paper, save trees (important reason for me), save space, prevent arthritis or carpal tunnel from handwriting, can easily edit and manipulate the notes, spellcheck, can virtually highlight and never run out of ink, can print several copies when I need to, can send to others without scanning, and can access anywhere via the cloud.

Hardest: CRIM 300W
    Easiest: EDUC 230

3.71. It is .21 different from first year in the positive direction.

Fun survey. Where do I enter my info for the draw for a cash-prize? I take PayPal.
  • That is super helpful! I don't have any money - spent it all on school haha. 

Trying to raise my GPA right now so i'm trying to find the best method to succeed. 

• I figured (not that you don't have money, but that you're exploring study strategies).

To be frank, I would recommend you don't follow my strategy, or lack of it. Save yourself the pain and all-nighters like I said. It may bite you in the ass in the latter semesters of your university years as well, like it kind of is doing to me now. Then again, my "method" or lack of a proper one might help you and you may find it works. It may also be terrible for you. You might be like Elon Musk with a photographic memory and ability to read at a super fast rate, then going to lectures might be a waste of your time. Also, important to take into consideration that different faculties and departments probably require different study methods.
  • edited April 2017
    It depends on the class. I took an elective class this semester called PHYS 190 and barely went to any lectures because the prof posted his slides online and we didn't get marked for attendance. However if it's a business class (my major) then I always go because I feel like I'm missing out which I assume
    is a good thing.

I look at it as LEARNING the material..... then I memorize. I had BPK 110 this semester and there was a lot of material to memorize. Before I went to lecture I read the slides the prof posted online and the corresponding textbook chapter and took some notes. Then in lecture I listened to the prof and added on to the notes I already had (lecture notes are the same as online slides). Then that week I re-read my notes and re-write certain things trying to learn the content then I memorize it. I did this the entire semester and memorized the lectures slides by weekly basis instead of cramming and got an A- in BPK 110 so it worked.

I always study at least a week before and sometimes 2 weeks before depending on the class. I hate cramming so I always plan ahead of time. Because I study throughout the semester usually studying for my finals is easier compared to someone who crams. I usually am revising not learning the material. I would say 85% of the course material I'm revising and the other 15% of loose ends I just couldn't understand/remember I learn it and memorise it. I like to go through all my lecture notes and rewrite things out and depending on the class I love using the flash cards I have prepared throughout the semester. For BPK 110 I made Flashcards for each chapter weekly so it was easier for me to study for my final.

This answer is subjective. Note taking depends on the person but also the class and professor. If the prof is going to test me on the textbook and lecture slides then my notes are going to be more detail orientated but if the professor is going to test me on just their lecture slides then the notes will only be based off of that and less detail orientated. If it's just lecture slides in being tested on then the notes aren't as detailed I gues because I don't have to add textbook material to them. I prefer typed out notes because they are more neat. Usually for mid term and final exam prep I will rewrite my typed notes into handwritten notes which helps me acrticulate the material better.

Easiest - PHYS 190 LOL no joke. Got an A- by not going to lecture not reading the textbook and putting in an half ass attempt. I did study weekly but I didn't put that much effort in.
    Hardest - BUS 254 Ended up getting a B+ but was not easy.

My GPA is good but I'm not sharing it on here, just wanted to give you advice.
  • Thanks for all the advice! I managed to really raise my GPA this semester and I find that there are a lot of things I commit to doing religiously which were mentioned in the previous posts. 

I took 254 a few semesters ago and it killed me, I might re-take it in the future if I really need to but would recommend for everyone to go over accounting basics online before the semester begins, and just practice practice practice from the textbook. And memorize debits and credits. 

Does anyone draw "memory maps"? I tend to do that for a lot of memorization intensive classes with interconnected topics and it really seems to help with quick recall. 

• It definitely wasn't an easy course. But I'm glad I passed lol.

I did that for BPK 110 actually since there was a lot of interconnected topics. It made it easier to study because I realized the digestion system was the same for fats, carbohydrates, and proteins just had a few differences. Those definitely help for courses like that!
  • edited May 2017
    YES (unless my prof is just awful)

I try not to, instead I take time to really understand the materials.

Since the start of the semester, every week I review all the materials that have been taught in prior weeks (yes, it accumulate, but the second and next time around, I just skim)

SUBJECTIVE, everyone has their own 'best' note taking method. For me, concise note/key ideas, I never write down what I don't understand; for that I'd email my TA or professor.

Although you did not ask, my preferred and recommended method to tackle most class is:
    -Keep a schedule of all your readings, upcoming quiz etc. Keep it organize and stick to it.
    -Pre-read all the readings and take notes 1 week ahead of the class (always pre-read lecture slides prior to coming to class)
    -during lecture, drop everything and listen to your prof, take notes as you listen
    -after lecture review all yours lecture notes
    -at the end of every week, review all your notes, (readings and lectures) this way you can solidify the materials taught, and be ready when exams come along.
    -always email TA/come to office hour and speak to the prof for help, always!

For me personally, introduction courses (especially science courses), first time around is always the hardest. I wouldn't say any of the classes that I took are easy, maybe they are when compared to others, but they still require a decent amount of work.  

What is your GPA? Is it different compared to your first year? 3.8, and yes. I was in AP first semester at SFU. I kid you not. :)

@leenami, man you missed out big time! PHYS190 textbook was super fun to read. I read it as a bed time story before sleeping everyday lol, I finished that book half way through the semester, loved it! And, I can't believe you got better grade in PHYS190 than BPK110.

• @MacBuOp I actually got an A- in both phys 190 and BPK 110 ;) but the effort I put into PHYS 190 was nothing compared to BPK 110 lol
  • I don't recommend my tactic for PHYS 190 because it doesn't work for everyone. I just was so busy with some of my other courses I put it on the back burner lol

Leave a Comment