To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Failing all courses in a semester?

Has anyone failed all courses in a semester before ? LOL Im talking to my friend who goes to ubc and hes scared he may face being kicked out and im bragging that sfu gives students another chance by being placed on Academic probation before being completely kicked out. BUT am i wrong about this? does this second chance only occur if your gpa is below 2.0 and not if you fail all your courses?

Comments

• From Academic Difficulty:

http://www.sfu.ca/students/academicadvising/difficulty.html

"If you have attempted at least 9 units in one or more terms and your cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is below 2.00, you will be placed on Academic Probation (OAP). Even if you pass every course, sustained performance at the marginal pass level (C- or D) will lead to a CGPA below 2.00 and result in being placed on Academic Probation (OAP)."

• Yeah but if you were failing ALL your courses at SFU in a semester you'd be screwed. You can only fail five courses total. But yeah that's why I'm glad I went to SFU.
  • Oh shoot that's true, but you'd be placed on probation if you fail let's say 3/3 or 4/4 courses in a semester right?
  • Yeah you would be placed on probation they can't kick you out until you fail five courses or you get placed on academic probation and don't get your GPA at 2.0 or above. But each program has different requirements. For example for business if you don't get a 2.4 or above you won't be able to enroll in your upper level courses. Even though it says get a 2.0 or above and you're good technically you should be getting a 2.4 CGPA. Also, in some faculties getting a D is a pass but not in business. You have to get at least a C- to pass a course. So not only do you have to meet SFU's requirements but your own faculty's requirements too.
  • edited December 2016
    My friend that goes to UVic Commerce said that they have to get a 3.0 CGPA in order to stay in the program and they are freaking out they may get kicked out too. I'm glad I chose SFU for business because although we get marked on a bell curve and it's more competitive it is a lot more flexible and so are a lot of the programs at SFU. You don't have to take a certain amount of courses a semester. You choose your own course load and the courses you want pretty much. At UBC and UVic the programs are not as lenient and you have to finish your degree in four years (well I know that is true for UVic but I'm assuming UBC is like that too). It can be good for some students but it can also be some students greatest downfall.
  • @leenami What happens if you don't finish it in 4 years at UVic because you had to take a semester or two off for some reason?
  • edited December 2016
    @TalkUBC well my friend in UVic's Commerce school said it would depend on the circumstances. If it's a health reason I'm sure the University would arrange an alternative route. I know UBC does the same. I had a friend who had to take a semester off for health reasons and he just took the summer semester to make up for it (cause he took the spring semester off). Universities are pretty understanding if it's a medical reason. But I do know my UVic friend is stressed out because she has to complete all her courses this year so she can move onto her third year and if she doesn't pass them she won't be moving onto her third year, she will basically get kicked out from what she told me.
  • edited December 2016
    But if there are no medical reasons, you finish your degree in four years. Well at least that's the case in the UVic Commerce program. In their program they have to do Co-Op in the summer to graduate so that's why she's freaking out because she's taking five courses a semester and can't do any in the summer because she needs the co-op term to graduate and she has to do it her second year.
  • That's hard to believe since post-secondary institutions want your money. Even if you're a good student but just decided to take a semester off for a non-health related reason it doesn't make sense that you just get kicked out and can't re-enter the program ever again. I don't doubt that it may be true, but I'm just surprised. 

Will your friend do the co-op in the fall semester then? Good luck to her regardless.
  • edited December 2016
    -------
  • Joint major and double major are really different things. With joint major, you basically do half of each major, whereas double major you actually do it all, minus the electives needed for the second major.

CRIM and BUS joint major seems a bit odd. It would make sense if you did one or the other and got another BA after, subsequent to your first degree, but I don't see how the majors in a joint major would complement each other.

Leave a Comment