To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Amazon.com book rentals

edited August 2016 in General
Has anyone tried renting their texts from Amazon.com?

I'm looking at a text for the upcoming semester which is $80-100 for a used or digital editions but $15 to rent.
I'll have to drive down to Washington to pick it up at 5dpackages or Ship Happens (post pickup places) and that'll cost $4 for pickup, and I'll have to drive down to ship it back (unless I pay Canada Post to do it instead of using the free waybill)
$26 after exchange

Has anyone tried this?

Comments

• Update in case this comes up in Google:
    The whole thing was stupid convenient.

Signed up online for 24/7 Parcel cause my buddy suggested them, they charge $3 to pick up a package but they make you buy credit in increments of $10. Rented the textbook off Amazon. I got an email with a code from the parcel place. You use that code to get into the building, enter it on another keypad inside and a locker pops open with the book inside. No talking to staff or anything.

24/7 Parcel is open uhh 24/7 so I went down at 11PM, tiny border lineup, no duty or anything bringing it back. I imagine if you parked near the border and walked across it would be pretty quick too. It's only a few hundred metres from the border crossing.

10/10 will do it this way again.
  • Thanks for the update and tips! Are you actually allowed to just park near the border and walk across? You still have to go through border customs yeah? I mean there is the whole U.S.-Mexico border media bonanza right now.

I never rented books but I currently go to Edge Logistics, it is part of the KinekPoint system which is a Point-to-Point shipping service that subcontracts other shipment places along the Canada-U.S. border. It's definitely not 24/7, but $5 to pick up and no need to buy credit increments. Unfortunately, it's cash only but there is a no-surcharge ATM at the Wecu bank close by.
  • edited September 2016
    @TalkUBC You need to go through customs whenever you're crossing the border regardless of walking or driving. You can run it if you're looking for some fun though! :P

I ship to TSB in Point Roberts. The PR border is a tiny ass crossing, so you never get hassled. It typically takes me 15 minutes to cross, pick up the package, and cross back over. TSB has normal business hours but great service. They also take CAD or USD, cash or credit. It's cheap too ($4 for textbook-sized packages). All you need to do is get a specialized number from them and provide it when you go to pick up along with your ID.
  • edited September 2016
    Yup my siblings walked across almost weekly to go down to the restaurant El Nopal in Sumas.
    I mentioned walking cause at least out in Abby/Sumas it's faster during the daytime if there's longer than a 10 minute wait. Night I suspect is going to almost always be faster
  • I was not aware you can just walk cross an international border like that.

Leave a Comment