To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

New Canvas

Thoughts on the new look on the UI?

I personally hate it and think it is sub-par compared to the original, but then again I usually don't like UI changes and they often take some time to get used to. I am not sure about this change however, I think it's pretty ugly.

Comments

• edited April 2016
    I hate it as well. I also agree that it's ugly.

What happened to the SFU logo? What happened to the red colours? These aren't big issues but seriously... why navy (if it's even that). The only thing that I can think of is that this UI will be used with other schools and that's why the logo and our school colour is gone.

I also find that the functionality of the UI is much more work than it used to be. What we had in Canvas before was similar to social media sites. That is the type of UI that many people are used to. Now, it seems as though I have to click through multiple tabs to even open what I want. I don't know if they're going for a minimalist look but it's not working.

Edit: PS, just noticed this. I do not want to have to click my profile then click logout only to be prompted to confirm the logout... I didn't go through that much effort for nothing :| So unnecessary.
  • I just realized this change may be due in part to make it more mobile-friendly as what they are aiming for. The thing is, IT'S NOT, AT ALL.

If they're using this for all schools, how hard is it honestly to have unique colour themes and logos for different schools on the same UI template.

This new UI is ridiculously cluttered and looks like it's made for vision-impaired colour-bind people that need high contrast. The more that changes are made to the UI, obviously the less psychologically efficient and intutive the work that will be done on Canvas, particularly discussions etc.

By far the worse update ever to happen on Canvas—ever.
  • I just checked it out on my phone... I couldn't stop laughing because every time I clicked a new tab, it kept zooming in closer and closer. I don't know why they even changed the UI. All the tabs are the same once you click into the correct class (which takes much longer because there's no drop down menu anymore). If their goal was to make this easier for mobile and navigation, they really failed. This is unfortunate considering most profs use Canvas now.
  • Tuition dollars doing great work. (Sorry had to make that joke). 

It's funny because that recent e-mail IT services sent about not to trust third-party apps like Know School, and that only Canvas, among others, are to be trusted, it's clear that Canvas is not to be trusted lmao.
  • Maybe we'll see some news about Canvas getting money for every time they make a BS change just like how we hear of Christie Clark getting paid for attending events. It's all connected!

But seriously, we're paying for changes like this... along with boosted student fees every year. I just realized that I spent an extra ~$200 dollars in student fees along with co-op fees just because I took an online course during my first semester of co-op. Good thing our money is going to great changes that are totally necessary. 

Leave a Comment