To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Desperate to boost my GPA up, PLEASE help (CRIM majors especially)

Hi, long story short, I need a 3.5 CGPA and this term I just couldn't do it. :( I'll need a 4.0 GPA next term to bring it up...
I'm thinking to take 3 courses that will add up to 10 units just to make it a little easier.
I was looking into one of these courses (probably HSCI 130 for sure, as I've heard this is a good GPA booster):

CRIM 103
CRIM 230
CRIM 251

STAT 100
STAT 203

HSCI 130

BPK 140 or 143

Language? (Cannot take Intro to French - High school credit)

Or should I retake a course that I got the worst mark in to get rid of it?

If you've taken any of these courses OR have any other GPA booster recommendations, please give your two cents - you'd be saving a life. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Hi, I'm a Crim major and I've taken some of the courses that you've listed up there. I'd recommend taking stat 100 for sure. Just do your hw and you're good to go. 
  • Hey, thanks so much for commenting.

One more question - did you happen to take all three CRIM courses that I mentioned (103, 230, 251)? How were they? I desperately need an A or A+ in all of the courses... Is it doable with any of the three CRIM courses?

Also, sorry I'm asking a lot of questions but for STAT 100, would the prof matter as long as I do all the work? Because I've looked at the usual STAT professors' ratings and none of them seem to have positive reviews ... :( 
  • yeah I've finished all of the lower division requirements for Crim except Crim 220 which I'm gonna be taking this semester. And I got As and A-s in all of them. I think getting an A+ is really tough though. To get an A+ you need 95+ which means you really have to ace every component of the course material - no room for even minutest mistakes. 

I personally found Crim 131,135 really enjoyable. But that could be because I'm interested in the criminal justice system (131) and the law (135). Got As in both of them. 

And yeah for Stat profs don't matter as much as the course is straightforward and pretty easy to self-teach. 

I think getting straight As is more about your work ethics rather than intelligence. If you put the effort in, your grades will reflect that for sure. 

Oh one more thing, I really enjoyed Crim 230 as well, Dr.Jones is a well-respected prof in the Crim dept as you might have heard and is a phenomenal instructor. 

Good luck. 
  • ^I concur with this. 
  • Thanks so much both of you!
    I'll be looking into 230 with Dr. Jones for sure.

Leave a Comment