To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

The Movie Thread

edited January 2007 in General
Talk about current releases, favourite films, bad movies, what you've seen recently, Oscar picks... etc.

And if you don't know about it yet, the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) is an awesome online source for finding out about movies, ratings, actors, and more.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    I'd might as well get this rolling...

We watched C.R.A.Z.Y. the other night and I really enjoyed it. It's nice to see when Canadian films aren't laughably bad! We really get a bad wrap for our cinema, but luckily Quebecois movies completely redeem us...

Another on the same vein that instantly landed on my top 10 was L'Audition. Simply an awesome movie. I was amazed at how enjoyable and flawless it was. It's apparently hard to find, but I got it through Zip.ca.

On another note... are any of the movies currently in the theatres any good? We got some free movie passes for Xmas and I'm wondering if it's worth seeing any of them.
  • edited January 2007
    i heard the pursuit of happiness with will smith was REALLLLY good.
  • edited January 2007
    mstar said:
    i heard the pursuit of happiness with will smith was REALLLLY good.
    Almost as funny as 'Blood Diamond'. Definitely.
  • edited January 2007
    The Holiday was a nice cheesy romantic comedy.....both Katie Winslett and Jack Black are good
  • edited January 2007
    I want to see Pursuit of Happiness, but those sappy movies usually depress the hell out of me... so I have to be in the right mood!

And I reeeeeeally don't like Jack Black, so I can't see The Holiday!

I watched Bon Cop Bad Cop the other night and it was pretty funny! Definitely VERY Canadian and it was neat that it was about 50/50 French and English.
  • edited January 2007
    Is pursuit of happiness really that sappy though? I thought of it more as a motivational movie than depressing...really triggers the dreams and ambitions of a lot of people
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah? Okay, motivational is good. And Will Smith is awesome.

Watched The Tesseract tonight. I'd read the book by Alex Garland (which was awesome) and as expected the movie wasn't as good. Interestingly it was based on the book... but really was NOTHING like it. It didn't just diverge from the plot... it was a different story all together. I almost prefer that cuz it's better than watching them butcher a good book like they did with Garland's other novel 'The Beach'
  • edited January 2007
    I thought the speech Rocky gave his son in Rocky Balboa was more inspiring than the speech Will Smith gave his son in The Pursuit of Happyness.
  • edited January 2007
    The Boondock Saints
    you won't find a better movie than that.
    for that genre of course.
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah, I've seen Boondock Saints a few times! It's a great mix of action and comedy. Plus it's a very clever movie. Good recommendation! :teeth:
  • edited January 2007
    yea pursuit of happiness is really good.. its not sad its more inspiring and motivates u... only thing i thought was that it took too long to get to the point :P
  • edited January 2007
    Motivating is good... but not if it takes it's sweet time!

Did anyone else see Stranger Than Fiction with Will Ferrell? I really enjoyed it! If you like literature at all, it's a winner. And Dustin Hoffman is hilarious!
  • edited January 2007
    I want to watch Stranger Than Fiction! i wonder if it has come out on DVD yet?

as for some favourite movies,
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Amelie
    Pulp Fiction
    ...and i've been watching a lot of James Bond movies lately (i'm a sucker for them)
  • edited January 2007
    Looks like Stranger Than Fiction is due on DVD February 27th. Make sure you check it out!

Amelie is on my favourites list too. I haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine yet, but I want to!
  • edited January 2007
    I usually get really high expectations from previews and hearing good things from friends, and when I actually go and watch the movie I get disappointed ><"

Pursuit of Happiness and Little Miss Sunshine were pretty good imo, probably great, but my expectations were too high lol.
  • edited January 2007
    I like the Puisuit of Hapiness, it is a very compelling story. Will Smith is solid and so does his son in this movie.
  • edited January 2007
    Highly recommended: Children of Men

Completely depressing and scary, but very good. I really enjoyed the action and it had a really compelling storyline. Certainly isn't uplifting but is really entertaining and a good thinker movie!
  • edited January 2007
    yeah children of men was amazing
    The Pick of destiny was sweet too... probably have to be a tenacious D fan to enjoy it though since most of the movie is their new album
  • edited January 2007
    Ick. I've hated Tenacious D since they ruined a perfectly good concert for me years ago. And that movie got reeeeeally bad reviews!
  • edited January 2007
    reservoir dogs 15th anni dvd came out on tuesday, i recommend you all pick it up, its a stellar movie!

how did they ruin a concert for you? Was just too good and you couldn't take it? lol
  • edited January 2007
    Triple said:
    reservoir dogs 15th anni dvd came out on tuesday, i recommend you all pick it up, its a stellar movie!

how did they ruin a concert for you? Was just too good and you couldn't take it? lol
    haha no, not quite. :wink: I have learned from years of mistakes that it's best not to discuss a band you dislike with one of their fans, so lets just call it a difference of opinion, shall we? :teeth:

And Reservoir Dogs is awesome. Are there any special features on the 15th anniversary edition?
  • edited January 2007
    lol "NO U SUCK!"

and yes reservoir dogs is awesome, acutally most of tha tarintino stuf is pretty decent :)
  • edited January 2007
    Apart from the Kill Bill duo, my favourite Tarantino movie is Four Rooms. Such creative stuff and it totally cracked me up. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it as it's one of his less well-known movies. He didn't direct it, but he helped to write it an also has a small part.
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    haha no, not quite. :wink: I have learned from years of mistakes that it's best not to discuss a band you dislike with one of their fans, so lets just call it a difference of opinion, shall we? :teeth:

And Reservoir Dogs is awesome. Are there any special features on the 15th anniversary edition?
    well i haven't watched it yet, but according to ign.com...

# Commentary by writer-director Quentin Tarantino, producer Lawrence Bender, executive producer Monte Hellman, director of photography Andrzej Sekula, editor Sally Menke, and actors Tim Roth, Chris Penn, Michael Madsen and Kirk Baltz
    # Commentaries by Amy Taubin (Film Comment), Peter Travers (Rolling Stone), Emanuel Levy (author of Cinema of Out6siders: The Rise of American Independent Film)
    # Documentary: "Playing It Fast & Loose"
    # Featurette: "Profiling the Reservoir Dogs"
    # Interactive tipping guide
    # Deleted scenes: "Background Check," "No Protection," "Doing My Job," "Cutting Off The Ear - Alternate Take A," and "Cutting Off The Ear - Alternate Take B"
    # K-Billy Radio: three audio features including audio outtakes from recording sessions with Steven Wright and an interview with Gerry Rafferty, writer of the Stealers' Wheel song "Stuck In the Middle"
    # Exclusive Interview: "Reservoir Dogs: The Game"
    # Reservoir Dolls: a short film re-enacting the infamous ear-cutting scene with Reservoir Dogs action figures
    # Documentary: "Class of '92," featuring interviews with Alex Rockwell, Chris Munch, Katt Shae, Tom Kalin and Quentin Tarantino
    # Tributes and Dedications: "Dedicated To...," Lawrence Tierney, Eddie Bunker, Monte Hellman, Jack Hill, Pam Grier, Roger Corman
    # Featurette: "Securing the Shot: Location Scouting with Billy Fox"
    # Featurette: "Reservoir Dogs Style Guide"
    # Theatrical trailer
    # Poster gallery

i duno if those are new or the same as the older editions..
  • edited January 2007
    Some of those must be new! This sounds like a 2-disc edition with all those extras. I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Leave a Comment