To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

CMPT 405 with Tom Shermer - HELP !

Hey Guys,

I am having CMPT 405 with Tom Shermer and I am literally about to have heart attack as finals are approaching. He is super nice and super helpful but the exams are so hard and I am not sure how he grades eventually. 
So my question is for anyone who has had a course with Dr. Shermer, EVER. How does he grade ? Does he scale ? Does he fail a lot of people ?

Oh FYI, we have had 2 exams so far and the class average for both of them have been F !!! 

PLEASE comment below and share your experiences. Thanks so much for helping a poor student out of a killing stress ! 

Comments

• I've had a few classes with Shermer - he's not a monster, and like you said - super nice and super helpful. if the average has been failing so far it is quite likely that he'll scale it, just make sure you're around the average or better? (easier said than done I know I know). If he feels like you dont deserve to pass though, he will have no problem failing you - but this could just mean giving you a D. Again it depends on where you are in relation to the rest of the class. Were there assignments for marks? How were those? He will take it all into account. You had to have made a conscious effort throughout the term, go to his office hours if he still has them. Ask questions! 

Most of all regardless of whether he scales or not, panicking is not going to help you here, believe me I've spent many wasted hours doing the same (ex. religiously checking the ratemyprof ratings for any signs of hopes of scaling and/or mercy), but it doesn't really help you does it? Try your best to focus on the material and give it your all. Best of luck for the final!
  • Clickie, don't forget to take a few deep breaths.  You might wan to have a look at exam prep info:

http://www.lib.sfu.ca/about/branches-depts/slc/strategies/learning-studying/exams

including Exam Anxiety.

Leave a Comment