To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Grading curve question

Hey everyone, this is my first semester at SFU and I've never experienced taking a course that has a curve.

So my question is, if I've been below average for midterms and the course is curved is that a good thing or a bad thing? I've read around that if you're at average or above then you're fine but I'm getting a little worried now with finals approaching.

Comments

• Below average is obviously a bad thing because average would mean that it is like C+ range of whoever is in the mean grade percentile.
  • In standard classes, below the median would be a C+ and above the median would be a B-. At any rate, if you're below class average, that's very bad.
  • Does that mean it's a fail if I'm below the mean?
  • Not necessarily. Just think of the mean/median as a curve, which is where the "curve" comes from. A bell-curve. The C/C+ range is the middle of that curve.
  • Think of the curve as something causing the fewest people to fail and fewest people to get A+s.

Be as systematic and regular in your studying as you can till the final and choose studying over social activities.
    A short term social deficit to prevent retaking the same course next semester is well worth it.

Leave a Comment