To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

SURVEY TIME! problems regarding sfu

Hi!

What are the problems you encounter on campus?
It could be anything from lining up, parking to SFU registration system.

:)

Comments

• The registration system is a perennial sore spot.  Also, the quality of advisors is quite uneven, from many accounts from many departments. Finally, foggy days make people feel depressed in the winter.  That should start the ball rolling...
  • Parking is awful. I live in Abbotsford and the commute is bad enough without unavoidably having to pay hundreds of dollars for parking at each campus. Because of course scheduling conflicts I originally had no choice but to attend both Burnaby and Surrey. I dropped the Burnaby courses because of the time and cost (and up to 7 hour break between classes). Taking the bus takes hours from Abbotsford, and I often have work right after class, so I don't have time to transit there. If I park in the actual Surrey parkade it can make me late because it takes so long to get down from the 7th floor (not necessarily that 5 minutes making the difference, but it puts me in heavier traffic as well).

Also, my experience with advising has been terrible. I've had one adviser I'd describe as competent.

There should be some sort of system that lets you pick courses and plots out the prerequisites required for it. If there is one, it should be easier to find.

The enrolment system should show the class and lab times and availability for each session on the main search screen. It sucks having to go in and then back out. I end up copying the details into word to figure out which I should try to select.

Leave a Comment