To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Townhouses or Shell?

Hello everyone!
I'm going to study at SFU during spring 2016. Soon I will have to decide where to stay in res. Where do you recomend me to stay? Townhouses or shell?
As I am an exchange student I'm looking foward to meet new people, hang out, study and have fun.
Also, if anyone knows someone who is looking for a roomate (lets say in townhouses), let me know cause Im going alone and it would be great to stay in a place with people which i have a previous contact.
Thank you!

Comments

• If you are going into first year of studies, then I'd say Shell residence because you get to meet more people. Townhouse is good in second or third year because you have your own space shared with 3 others. 
  • And townhouses are a little bit further away from classes
  • Shell is closer to the dining hall and cozier but it's also one of the older residences on campus where it's permanently freezing for some reason.... and with proximity to the dinning hall you might also get quite a few friendly visits by the resident raccoon family at night , and noise. 

Townhouses are a bit nicer , you get your own kitchen so you can cook your own meals and all. Think of them as a shared house where you get your own room but public space shared with 3 others. Nice people usually but it depends. 

So... choices to be made eh?
    However ,if I recall townhouse is for 2nd- 4th year students and shell house is for 2nd year students as according to the eligibility chart. Assuming you're a first year student , the residence you should be looking at is probably the towers. 
  • Just live in your turtle shell. Good ol' trusty sturdy robust turtle shell.
  • Take a look at attending the Surrey campus if you can. More food options, convenient shopping (Walmart's going in, they already have a T&T Marketplace and some other stores), cheaper parking, and the Skytrain is across the street. Definitely more convenient when it snows. Lots of students rent whole houses together, though I know there are a lot of homestay options there, too.

Leave a Comment