To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Mechatronics Thoughts

edited August 2015 in General
Hi I'm entering the mechatronic systems engineering program in the fall and I was wondering if anyone currently in the program could give any advice on the difficulty, girl to guy ratio, whether or not it was/is worth it, etc. Thanks!

Comments

• Depending on the degree, female students are ca. 10-20%  of the Mechatronics student population.  It's not looking too busy, but you can ask on the FB Mechatronics page (http://on.fb.me/1JfGOCx) and see if there is any response..
  • Applied sciences has the lowest female to male ratio. On average applied science is made up for 15-20% female.
    Here's some proof: http://www.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/irp/students/documents/ST08.pdf 
  • Why does girl-to-guy ratio matter.
  • If you're a girl, you'll be sure to meet alot of guys.
    As the saying goes... If you're a girl in applied sciences, the odds are good but the goods are odd.
    Don't expect to find alot of cute guys there, they are all mostly geeks and nerds =P
  • odds are good but the goods are odd. hahahahahahahahaahhahahahaha
  • lol the ratio of females to males isn't my only concern guys :')
  • I can't find it right now, but they used to have something (I think it was called Gatekeeper) where you can download an Excel sheet of the percentage of A's B+ B B- C+ C C- etc. for every class at SFU and the sample base for each class.

If you can find it, it'll be better than hearing people's opinions on the courses... the tendency on here is for people to say 
    "It's easy, and if you do bad at it, you should drop out of SFU" (based on the threads I saw when searching because I was curious about the difficulty of my upcoming classes)

I've seen people walking around wearing mechatronics jackets at or near SFU... they've never been female.

I'm not sure if you need to do a set list of classes, but try to take courses that will apply to general AS disciplines for as long as you can if you're at all unsure about your decision.

Leave a Comment