To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

SFU's course enrolment system is terrible! What are your frustrations?

edited August 2015 in General
Personally, I've struggled many times to get into REQUIRED classes needed for graduation, either because they're rarely offered, or there aren't enough seats in the class (offered once per semester) to accommodate the hundreds of students who need the requirement! I'm now looking at a BA that'll take me at least 6 years to complete.

Why can SFU's enrollment system be so awful? What are you horror stories? Are there certain student demographics who get priority seating that shouldn't? Are there other universities that run into this problem? Or is it only SFU? Have SFU students had this problem for years? What else can you tell me about the enrolment process?

Any thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• You are not alone.  There's a whole section of the Undergraduate Student Survey

http://www.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/irp/surveys/ugss/ugss2014report.pdf

on Course Availability and how (un)happy students are.  This has been a problem for years at SFU; in the report it describes how availability has improved in some faculties and grown worse in others, and also that overall the higher the course number the harder it is to get in.  Student unhappiness is by no means not limited to SFU - don't know whether it's worse here.

• they don't give a fuck. Advisors schedule "drop-in" hours daily, but tend to go home for the day if no one shows up by 9:30 AM. stay classy SFU
  • It gets better as you progress and gain more credits.
  • I am a first year student and even I think the enrollment process is bad. Crim 101 got full in one week pretty much, that is crazy! Although it is great to have flexibility with our schedules, if they had a set schedule for each program and put everyone in groups, no one would have the issue of not being able to enroll in courses (unless they fail and have to redo it haha). BCIT does this but I mean I personally like having flexibility but it is annoying to not be able to get into a class you need.

Leave a Comment