To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

How Was 2006 For You?

edited January 2007 in General
So, once again, we’re entering a new year and I thought it’d be interesting to hear how 2006 was for you!

Here are the questions from a thread on another site...

1. What was the most memorable event of 2006 for you personally?

2. What have you done this year that you feel was a real accomplishment?

3. What do you regret most about this year?

4. Did you stick to your new years resolutions? If so, what were they?

5. What was your favourite song of 2006?

6. Which band/ artist did you discover/ fall in love with this year?

7. Who are you most proud of this year and why? (can be a family member/ friend or a famous person!)

8. Did you do anything new or do something for the first time this year?

9. Have you learnt anything new about yourself in 2006?

10. What has your relationship status been like throughthe year? Did you find that "special someone?"

11. What do you want to do in 2007? What, if any, new years resolutions will you be making?

Finally.... sum up you year in a few sentences!

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Finding a new job which will help me develop my career.

Made more money and slowly paying off my debt.

I got lazy and stopped going to the gym. And taking that course on death and dying for fun. Friggin course gives me morbid thoughts all the time now and wasted my time and money.

I don't make any new year resolutions.

I was gonna say Jame's Blunt "You're Beautiful" but that's so 2005. I'm sorta getting my years mixed up as I get older. I don't think any outstanding songs came out in 2006.

I thought Justin Timberlake's futuresex, love sounds album was great but I didn't quite fall in love with him or his album.

7. Who are you most proud of this year and why? (can be a family member/ friend or a famous person!) My two closest friends who both found high paying jobs.

I wake up early now instead of sleeping in if that counts.

As I become older, I'm becoming more antisocial. And I don't really enjoy it when people come up to me and make small talk. Some people think I'm snobby but I think I'm just developing the Vancouver attitude.

10. What has your relationship status been like throughthe year? Did you find that "special someone?"
    I didn't meet that special someone but I met a few girls at school and work. But I never bothered to ask.

11. What do you want to do in 2007? What, if any, new years resolutions will you be making?
    I would like to enter the CFA program in 2007. I don't really have any new years resolutions though.

Finally.... sum up you year in a few sentences![/QUOTE]
    It wasn't a great year. I hate seeing each year slip by. I'm just getting older and older and I don't think I'm acheiving a lot. It's worse when people think I'm in my late teens or early 20's when really I'll be hitting my mid 20's by next year. I hate looking young.
  • edited December 2006
    Starting at SFU after working my ass off at Langara to get there!

I stopped biting my nails and cuticles. I've been doing it for 14 years, and it was seriously wrecking my hands, so this is a HUGE thing for me!

Time spent worrying or stressing out when I could've been with people I love.

Didn't make any resolutions.

No idea. I don't really listen to the radio.

None, really.

7. Who are you most proud of this year and why? (can be a family member/ friend or a famous person!)
    My friend Matt who is working really hard to get into university and get his dream job. I'm proud to see him so motivated!

Started seeing a counselor at the SFU clinic. Something I should have done a long time ago... it's really helping me out.

9. Have you learned anything new about yourself in 2006?
    I've learned that I'm happier if I stop overthinking things and just enjoy myself!

10. What has your relationship status been like through the year? Did you find that "special someone?"
    Celebrated my 4th anniversary with my boyfriend. We've had a good year as we are learning to balance responsibilities between us, and it's making us a heck of a lot happier! I've also rediscovered how much FUN he is and I'm really enjoying my time with him.

I want to re-learn how to swim because I'm going to Thailand in April and I want to be comfortable in the water by then!

Summary: The big thing for me in 2006 was finding a balance between the facets of my life. I really hope that I can continue to keep that up as it has had great rewards for me and those around me!
  • edited December 2006
    Started seeing a counselor at the SFU clinic. Something I should have done a long time ago... it's really helping me out.

I didn't know SFU had a counselling service. Do they offer it to students who no longer goes there, what fees do they charge?, and what type of counselling service do they offer.

I've suffered an abusive childhood but I never ever went to see a counsellor before. I don't really believe in counselling but I would give it a try if it makes me better off.
  • edited December 2006
    SFU Personal Counselling

I'm not sure if ex-students are allowed go to. It is free for current students, though. It'd be worth calling them up and asking! Before you can see a counsellor you need to go through a screening. Basically it lets them set you up with someone who can best help you.

The counsellors there are not doctors, however. So if you would like to see someone with a degree, I'm sure they can refer you to a good place.

I would definitely recommend trying it out, though!
  • edited December 2006
    Apprehended for homicide and later released due to mistaken identity.

N/A.

Spending copious amounts of money on frivolous things that draw attention to me as nothing more than a spoiled simpleton.

N/A.

Released before 2006, N/A

N/A.

Myself.

Yayo.

My morals are extremely flexible.

Taken.

Become the first trillionaire.
    I will maintain a strict training regimen. I will quit working a bullshit job and do something that I respect.

Probably better than yours, but not as good as I would have liked it to be.
  • edited December 2006
    Apprehended for homicide and later released due to mistaken identity.
    HAHAHA thats classic
  • edited December 2006
    Ended relationship with ex and got accepted into SFU.

Applying for SFU and getting accepted

Not registering for UBC.

Accomplished. 1. Got into SFU. 2. Lost a huge amount of weight.

梁詠琪 - 成長的短髮 (精裝特別版)\02. 給自己的情歌.mp3

Jasmine Leung.

No one.

Yes, studied my ass off at Koerner till I was beat.

NEver dread on the past and to continue moving on forward because if you were never meant to be with the other person then you were never meant to be.

Nope. Been single majority of year.

Get a 3.0GPA for school and to be more social.

These all relate to school or soemthing. So boring *yawn*

Happy New Years Eve everyone.
  • edited December 2006
    1. I had to go to washroom twice during my provincial exams, because I ate too much the night before.

2. MOM I GOT INTO A UNIVERSITY!!!

3. Everything

4. What is new years resolution?

5. Joy to the world, saddam is dead

6. I'm not much of a fan of music

7. Myself of course

8. Life is boring

9. Absolutely nothing

10. I'm still single T_T

11. Get rich
  • edited January 2007
    Going down on my road-trip to Vegas

Managed to raise my GPA and get accepted into SFU

Not trying hard for Spring 06 semester

I don't think I made any. If so, it was to probably quit smoking (which I have somewhat) and try harder in school. I did bad in spring but good in fall, so I guess I didn't fulfill but didn't ignore my resolutions.

James Blunt - You're Beautiful

Jay Chou

[To be determined]

I went on a road-trip down the coast to San Diego, then went to Vegas and back.

If I try hard, I can accomplish anything.

Nope, been trying but I am too shy. I have met some nice new friends whom are girls, but not that special someone.

Quit smoking, work out more, eat healthier, do much better in school, quit gambling, get a girlfriend, make more money, make more friends, enjoy life, and be a good person in general.

Finally.... sum up you year in a few sentences![/QUOTE]
    This year has been pretty big for me. I have realized that I am not a little kid anymore and I am a young adult. I now know that I want my degree and I want to succeed in life. I have changed from being a lazy slob to the total opposite. Started to go to the gym, make more friends, try hard in school. So I guess this year has played a pivotal point in my life and it has changed my views.
  • edited January 2007
    - a kiss during the fireworks in the summer

- making it to the last year of my degree!
    - and writing the MCAT

- being strong

- cant remember what they were

- Mary J - Be without u

- Fell in love wit Justin & Nelly Furtado

- my former bf for getting so much accomplished this year and getting so many burdens off his back finally! :smile:

- went on a pub crawl lol

- yea that as long as u stay motivated and determined about something, u can accomplish anything, and that my beliefs play a bigger role in my life than id expected (sortof identifies u)

- i had that special someone and i let him go

- i want to finally graduate, get into med school, and find happiness
    - plus want to get rock hard abs for the summer!

It was an amazing year.. lotta ups n downs but mostly ups.. learnt a lot about myself this year and grew up a lot.. cant wait to see wat the future holds
  • edited January 2007
    When you find happiness let me know too! Happiness is like chocolate...I thought I found a rock solid hershey bar but it turned out to be a hollow Aero.
  • edited January 2007
    A kiss during the fireworks show

I got my private pilots licence for free within a 2 month span

No regrets; well maybe not looking for a girl

uhhh didnt make any

Eminem - Mockingbird

Charmillionaire

MEEEE!!!! lol killer grade12 transcript, pilots licence, university, and my new car

Hell yeah!!! learnt how to fly a plane, learnt how to drive standard, and finally overcame all my fears thats right nothing can scare me now!!!

I learnt that I can accomplish anything if i put my mind on it

I've been single the whole year, just trying to figure out what i wanted to do in life before i settle down in a relationship

Probably find a girlfriend now, start my commercial pilots licence, find a good paying job, and get into better shape

WOw what a ride 2006 was. There were ups and downs but mostly ups. This year has been the pinicle of my life; pilots licence and getting into SFU. Meaning that ive reached that fork in the road which leads me into med school but the other back up road of commercial pilot. I could not of been more proud of myself.

Heres To 2007!!:beer:

Leave a Comment