To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Excetution of Saddam

edited January 2007 in General
So finally saddam has been executed. justice some mught say, pointless say others. but what does it matter if one man is dead. it means nothing, the war still continues. he is just another number on the page of casualties of war. yet we still send our troops to fight in a war that isnt ours in which to fight. bush makes out like he's helping to develop a democratic society in which to live for the people of iraq. yet all he does by keeping his troops there an extra day is rack up the death toll.

thoughts on this?

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Moved to Think Tank for you. :smile:
  • edited December 2006
    The point of Saddam's death is NOT to say that it will make the fight in Iraq easier, or that democracy will come quicker or that it will make Iraq a better place. The purpose of his execution was to bring just dessert and punishment for the crimes he committed. They did not kill him to make Iraq a better place, they killed him because that is the punishment for the crimes he committed.

And also, the US was not involved in the execution of Saddam, the only part that the US had to do with Saddam was capturing him. His trial was led by Iraqi's from an Iraqi Tribunal, and they sentenced him and Bush had no say in what his sentence was going to be.
  • edited December 2006
    Why is there a frowning face next to the title of the thread?

With the death of that filthy piece of shit, the world instantly became a better place. Execution is the pinnacle of justice and the death of Saddam is society's crowning achievement of 2006.

CHEERS!
  • edited December 2006
    Let's not forget that the US Administration had once backed Saddam to invade Iran and gave him all sorts of chemical bombs, etc etc. And their so-called evidence for the invasion of Iraq was the bombs they had once given Saddam themselves. Also, let's not forget that Bin Laden used to be a secret CIA agent (trained by CIA).

My point is very simple. US' foreign policy changes dramatically from time to time, depending on the country's economic/political interests.

Bush and Cheney "democracy" campaign has one main objective and that's to take over as many oil reserves as they can, and trust me they don't give a damn about people in the middle east.
  • edited December 2006
    1 less person in the world means 1 less mouth to feed

get it?:teeth:
  • edited December 2006
    coreyc said:
    Why is there a frowning face next to the title of the thread?

With the death of that filthy piece of shit, the world instantly became a better place. Execution is the pinnacle of justice and the death of Saddam is society's crowning achievement of 2006.

CHEERS!
    How will the world be a better place? How will this contribute to Iraq's democracy (if you consider that a good thing)? Hussein was immobilized: he had no say in how Iraq was to be run, so how does Saddam's hanging amount to "society's crowning achievement of 2006"? I just don't see the logic.

I won't say here my opinions on the death penalty, but what Bush said about Hussein being hanged being a "milestone" in Iraq's democracy is categorically illogical. He was captured, remember? So how did he stand in the way of Iraq becoming an autonomous nation? Would more people vote if Hussein had died or what?

Ask yourself this: would there be no democracy if Hussein were still alive? If you answer in the negative, you miss the point. The authorities could have kept him in prison for the rest of his life, and that wouldn't have changed a damn thing--all they'd have to do was to shave his beard once in a while, but that's about it.

My ultimate point is that you really have to check your reasoning if you contend that there is a connection between a captured Hussein's death and democracy in a newly autonomous nation.
  • edited December 2006
    From my point of view, it was less than smart to hang him... especially so abruptly like they did. Maybe America was trying to send some sort of signal or maybe they were just fed up with him, I don't know. But by doing that they have only made his legacy as a martyr stronger and that will inevitably create more Saddam's to take his place in the future.
  • edited January 2007
    I'm glad he's gone, but I'd rather see him in prison for the rest of his life than dead.
  • edited January 2007
    whether it was a fair trial or not, i don't know. but all i know is i wouldn't have any sympathy for him whatsoever.

I think he would definitely suffer more if he'd be locked up for the rest of his life than hanged. At the same time, they wanted him FINISHED so I guess they would kill him anyways.
  • edited January 2007
    What do you guys think about Bush? should he be executed? :teeth:
  • edited January 2007
    pma10 said:
    What do you guys think about Bush? should he be executed? :teeth:

I think he does a mediocre job that I could improve upon. No, he should not be executed.

What do you guys think about pma10? should he/she be executed?
  • edited January 2007
    President Bush has not committed any crimes which require the sentence of the death penalty, and until he has and until he is sentenced to death he should not be executed. You cannot execute and innocent person under any circumstances.

I agree that President Bush does do a mediocre job that can be improved upon, but its not like everything he does is bad. I'm not a pro Bush but I'm not completely against him either. He is running a country, let's see how you would do it.
  • edited January 2007
    shadysimon said:
    He is running a country, let's see how you would do it.
    I would sit back and cop head in the oval office.

I would golf, fuck, smoke weed, workout and watch the best sports games from the sidelines. I would take a shit in the upper deck of your toilet.
  • edited January 2007
    When Saddam was ruling the whole Iraq and making all the Iraqi kurdish and shi'ite suffering, we wanted him to die. But when eventually he was imprisoned in misery and executed with no respect, we fell sympathy for him.
    Strange, isn't it?
  • edited January 2007
    fanwan91 said:
    When Saddam was ruling the whole Iraq and making all the Iraqi kurdish and shi'ite suffering, we wanted him to die. But when eventually he was imprisoned in misery and executed with no respect, we fell sympathy for him.
    Strange, isn't it?
    yeah i totally agree. but i did think it was pretty brutish--if anyone had heard about the most recent video that came out of Saddam's execution where a gaping wound on saddam's neck was shown.

it's been a while since such humility has been imposed upon a ruler, even if he was evil. hitler probably wouldve suffered a humiliating execution if he didn't commit suicide first.

saddam's execution--in the manner of the taunting, and the short timespans between the dates of conviction and execution--bears resemblance to Louis XVI's execution...and that was way back in 1793......

Leave a Comment