To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

when to declare major

i'm taking the last courses that are required for declaring my major this fall, when should I apply for my program? I'd like to be taking upper div courses in the Spring hopefully

Comments

• As often happens, the answer is "Talk to your academic advisor". On Academic Advising page:

https://www.sfu.ca/students/academicadvising/major.html

under Declaring a Major

"Step 1: Complete the admission requirements for your chosen program. In some cases this may just be a matter of completing a specific set of courses; in others it may include satisfying a certain GPA requirement. Visit the Academic Calendar for specific requirements.

Step 2: If you are still unsure of the admission requirements for your chosen program, book an appointment with a general Academic Advisor to discuss them.

Step 3: Once you have completed the admission requirements for your chosen program, print out an advising transcript from the Student Information System (log in at go.sfu.ca ) and see the departmental advisor(s) for your program (go to the "Declared a major" tab for the contact list) in order to declare your major.

Once you have declared your major, all further course planning concerns should be directed to your departmental advisor."

Leave a Comment