To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Department Advisors

Has anyone ever dealt with some unnecessarily rude advisors at SFU? I'm having issues with enrollment and my department advisor is actually shafting me quite a bit. I'm graduating soon and seriously considering filing a formal complaint. Share your stories please!

Comments

• I don't have anything especially bad. Mostly just I don't really get solid advice telling me what to do, and have to figure out everything on my own.
  • I have never had a bad experience with an adviser. I sometimes found their course planning ideas to not be terribly creative, but never malicious =)
  • Yours actually give you course planning ideas?

Mine usually just regurgitate the things I've specifically mentioned I've already learned back to me, then link me to the webpage I learned them from, which never contains the information I'm asking.
  • That sounds like the psych undergrad advisor, for sure. Copy/pasting like nobody's business.
    This specific advisor was unhappy that I went over her head to attain a waiver and decided to revoke it. Definitely the opposite of helpful
  • Quite a few comments have come up on TalkSFU about unhelpful advisors. They definitely vary in quality.  If you want to file a complaint go with specific examples of poor service and sound as dispassionate as possible.  No idea whether anything can be done about long-term SFU employees other than some sort of talking-to, but that shouldn't discourage you.
  • I heard a particular crim advisor is notoriously terrible and has been around for a while. It's no wonder there is such a high turnover rate of the crim advisors. I miss Lindsay. I never interacted with her face-to-face but had a lot of correspondence and it was alright. She's also hot.

Leave a Comment