To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Who wants to teach me piano?

edited May 2015 in General
Who wants to teach me piano? and I can teach you Mandarin or Linguistics courses in return.(I have experience of tutoring)
Or we can discuss other ways.Thank you!

Comments

• It's a lo-tech suggestion, but you might want to put up a notice on an SFU Woodward's bulletin board.
  • I will teach, for free food and lodging
  • YouTube will teach for about an initial 5-10 seconds of your advertisement consumption time and possibly more if the ad intrigues you. Or, you can download AdBlock and be taught for free.
  • ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
    Feed me and knowledge shall be yours
  • I don't know if you're still searching but I have the RCM Elementary and Intermediate Piano Pedagogy certificates.  I'm also looking to take linguistics and mandarin courses in the future so this is like a perfect match for me~
    Depends on where the piano lessons will take place though.  Does SFU have any practice rooms?
  • So... what are these other ways? ;o
  • @Tofu LMAO.

@Anonchan There are pianos in several places at SFU. One used to be in Images Theatre I think but there is definitely one in that room by the MBC, beside the coffee shop and also in another room somewhere but I forgot where it was!!! 
  • Thanks for the tip, talkUBC! 
    lol I don't know how to do that @ thing yet 
  • @anonchan lol you just literally type "@" followed by the name of the user. Like @"username". @anonchan @talkubc etc.
  • I know of 6 pianos on campus.
    Forum Chambers has one, you can book that room,
    Images Theater has one but that belongs to the SFU choir, should probably ask permission to use it, I think you can book that room too
    Education building has a piano in the upper floor, 9000 lvl I think although you shouldn't play on that one cuz it's beside the offices and there's a grand and an upright in the 7000 lvl 
    There's a piano that belongs to someone, you should ask for permission to use this one, or so I was told, it's in the lecture room closest to the main bus loop in blusson hall, beneath the main floor.
  • Thanks for the info, @MXC! Just waiting for @sfu11 to get back to me on details
    Hope that availability for the pianos aren't as bad as http://www.the-peak.ca/2011/10/sfu-have-pity-on-piano-players/ describes
  • Woah, dude, there are pianos? Had I known that, it would have made my first couple semesters so much better!

I'd actually agree that YouTube is the best way to start learning, though.
    Rent a digital keyboard from Long and McQuade for $10/month.
    https://www.long-mcquade.com/rentals/keyboards/0/21/27/#products

In-person, the first lessons will be a waste for you without self-study first.
    It's like taking a course in poetry before learning how to read.
    You have to learn to read staffs and study chords and stuff.
    For me it was basically studying by myself for 3-6 months till the teacher was able to start doing lessons.
    I was a kid, though, so it may be quicker for you. 

Leave a Comment