To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

New Upass?

edited May 2015 in General
How do we get the new compass cards? Next month starts next week and I'm a bit nervous I won't get it in time.

Comments

• Swipe your ID in the Upass dispensers like normal. Get your compass card asap since it takes ~24 hours to request and load your Upass on it.
  • edited May 2015
    You go to the same kiosks where you always get your Upass. After that, go to upassbc.translink.ca. Enter SFU and then sign in with your student account. Enter your card number, link your account. Request it for June. Do this for every month thereafter.
  • Wait so they're still paper cards?? Or are there RFID chips on them and we still need to tap them on the bus readers?

But wow that's so much more convenient, I haven't read any of the info but I hope we just get to keep a single compass card and renew online each month instead of having to remember to go to the kiosks on campus every month.
  • Okay never mind don't answer my questions I just read your link @Annie whereas before I was too lazy to and instead wrote all that lmao.

But actually I see a major downside to this now, because I keep my U-Pass in my wallet and just flash the card in the wallet without taking it out but now I have to physically take it out each time and tap it in AND while exiting. This is actually quite inconvenient and increases risk of losing or dropping things.

This is especially difficult for those who keep their pass in their phone case and the RFID chip and the reader may not work with it behind the case depending on the material and thickness.
  • edited May 2015
    I put my card in the section of my wallet that has a transparent screen. That way, I can just tap my compass card without having to take it out. I've seen lots of people do that before and I do the same thing with my SFU ID when I go to the gym. But yeah, it does suck for people who used phone cases for their U-passes because I don't think it will be able to detect the compass card through the case material unless the case is transparent.
  • @Shayan4440 Ah I see, so it's just the barcode, there's no RFID chip or other proximity-type scanning. 

@Bull said that it takes about 24 hours after the request to link and load the Compass to U-Pass, does anyone know what the procedure is after requesting? Do they send you a confirmation e-mail to your SFU e-mail or the notifications e-mail set up on their site or nothing at all? 

I just requested today and I'm afraid it won't be loaded on time and I won't be able to ride the bus and have to resort to good ol' coinage.
  • edited June 2015
    @TalkUBC Actually I don't know how it works. It might be an RFID chip, but not sure. Also, once your request is fulfilled, it should say processed the same place where you requested the June fare.
  • edited June 2015
    @TalkUBC Sorry, I keep forgetting that TalkSFU exists xD If you haven't noticed already, on the website where you register, it just tells you if it's processed or not. I haven't looked far enough into it to see if they give you an option to get emails when you're fully processed. I think there are emails, if you request them, that remind you to request the next Upass though. Okay, I checked and just go through the "Set up notifications" process which is just entering your email and the number of days in advance to be reminded to request the next pass. These notifications also tell you when the pass has been processed for loading.
  • I'm almost certain that most people do not use their Compass Card on purpose because of how inconvenient it is. That or they forget to tap out.

I'm both, haha
  • edited June 2015
    It's incredibly annoying having to tap out...Every time I get off the bus, I have to reach into my pockets and pull out my wallet just for something little like that when it doesn't even matter since we already have unlimited fare.
  • Since you have a upass, I don't think you need to tap out. 

If you paid dare through Upass, then you need to tap out. 
  • They want you to tap out, but is it going to happen? Doubt it.
  • @Bull I've always wondered about that too. People tap out when they are done, and the transaction occurs at that point. But since we get access to all zones, anytime for that month, there would be no point because they can't charge you.
  • @Tofu Translink probably wants us to tap out for now so they can get all their data. I doubt they'll care (for students ) after everyone has a card as long as you tap in. I stopped tapping out after four days, I only do it if I really want to put in that extra effort of taking the card out of my pocket.
  • Appreciate the responses guys. My first bus ride heading up didn't work that morning so it probably hadn't processed (but I hopped on anyway even though it said error, thanks to other people in the line distracting the bus driver xD), but after a single class, my return-trip worked. So the processing time is quite fast actually.

I'M NEVER GOING TO TAP OUT. NEVER HAVE, NEVER WILL. 

THEY JUST WANT TO STALK YOU FOR EVIL MILITARY/POLICE STATE REASONS. ILLUMINATI.

All jokes aside, I never tapped out. It's so inconvenient and stupid and there's an article saying that TransLink might abandon the tap-out altogether due to glitches. You really only need to tap out if you have a regular cash compass-card or 1 and 2 zone card as it charges you based on where you get off. But since U-Pass is unlimited as you guys said, screw tapping out. 

NEVER TAP OUT. LOSE BY KNOCKOUT ONLY.

Leave a Comment