To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Help me pick: crim104 with Nicholas Athey or crim131 with Sheri Fabian

Jg4
edited May 2015 in General
I've never taken a crim class before but would like to take one this semester
PLEASE HELP to decide which one I should take :)

Comments

• They are both great profs but I prefer Sheri and for me, the content was better.

Crim 104 is sociological theories, it's great if you're good at memorizing. It involves one paper (easy, depending on TA, of course) and an online tutorial and quiz component.

Crim 135 also has a paper and an online component. This online component is basically your tutorial which involves group discussions. You can read a lot of hilarious opinions, such as, "There shouldn't even be a trial for people if we know that they are guilty." Even Sheri popped into that discussion to say a few words about that claim. Anyways, Sheri also indicates from her slides what content will be on the exams.

Both are good classes, it's just up to what you would prefer to learn.
  • @Bull I think you meant CRIM 131, not 135 ;)

That's HILARIOUS though hahahaha "There shouldn't even be a trial for people if we know that they are guilty." Why are people like that even in Crim?!?

I agree with Bull on everything. They're both great classes if you're just taking it for elective. 131 has a bit more work compared to 104 because Sheri really wants you to learn but it's not like overwhelmingly hard you just need to put some effort, it's not a breeze like 104 is with Cartwright. But Sheri's a great prof. Not sure about Athey though. Btw most people take 131 thinking it's like 101 and you'll learn about crime, but as the course says, it's about the system of the CJS and not criminology in general. 101 and 103 is better for that, especially for those Dexter psycho serial-killers people are infatuated with.

If you wanna learn about the reasons for crime on a sociological perspective take 104, if you wanna learn about the facts of the CJS and the way it is, problems with it and looking at it from various sides take 131.

104 in general is easier, 131 is also easy but harder compared to 104...but easy.

• @TalkUBC Yeah, you're right. My bad, I was getting ready for the weekend so I got a bit too excited xD Sheri had to interrupt our discussion before anyone could make a comment about that person's claim. I should have taken a screenshot of it at the time.

Nick is a good prof, he's really helpful and answers emails faster than most profs. He's always open to helping students so don't worry about getting a crappy prof since they're both really good.
  • @Bull What did she say?!? LOL
  • @TalkUBC I don't remember exactly what she said but it was probably something like, "We have trials in order to maintain a fair justice system" or something similar. She kept it pretty professional but I'm sure that she showed her colleagues the BS she has to put up with from some students.

Leave a Comment