To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

STAT 203

edited May 2015 in General
Hey, is anyone here taking STAT 203 with John Giles?

I found the first lecture to be very unorganized and it felt like I didn't learn anything. I looked through chapter 1 of the textbook and it seems like the prof completely skipped some information. Feel free to PM me or post here if you want to talk about this class. 

I'm pretty worried about this class since the prof doesn't seem very reliable so far. 

Comments

• I'm taking it through distance ed with Tim Swartz...you can consider taking it online because it seems pretty organized + assignments seem easy. One of the downsides is that the final is worth 70%. 
  • Does he have notes with explanations as to what he's doing? I'm mostly worried about notes since this prof just assumes that we're all good at math and expects us to know what he's doing without explanation.
  • He gives us a page of explanations per week...he basically just tells you to read the assigned chapters and do as much questions as you can for practice. Since its distance-ed, your performance is based on how well you comprehend the text (not sure if its enough explanation for some people) and requires self-learning. I feel that its a better option for me because I won't get affected by a so-so instructor. 
  • Ah. Okay. I'll probably just stick with the in-class course since it'll force me to keep up with the homework rather than the last minute, no reading I typically do for DE classes.

Thanks for your help and input!
  • @robotpotato,

I took Stats 201 DE with Tim Swartz last semester.

DON'T TRUST HIS OUTLINES... some parts of certain chapters he told us to skip, and then he asked a bunch of questions about them in the final... beware...
  • Why do all statistics people have the last name "Giles"?
  • @Aspalar

Thanks for the heads up!! I can't afford to fail a final worth 7% :( 

No problem!

Leave a Comment