To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Repeating courses

MCJ
edited April 2015 in General
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could clarify SFU's policy on repeating courses. This past spring semester I retook one course that I did very poorly in a year ago (D) and I ended up with a B this time around but I was wondering if my CGPA would exclude my old mark and only take into account my new mark (I am aware that the other mark will stay on my transcript). After using the gpa calculator to see what my CGPA would have looked like had I gotten a "B" the first time around, it doesn't match up to the CGPA I have in my SIS right now. Basically what I'm trying to say is if you get a better grade when you retake a course, does the last grade and new grade combine together to form a new CGPA? Does the old grade omit itself in terms of it counting towards your CGPA? If not, is the course retake option only beneficial for people who have actually received an F in their course? 

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• MXC, thanks for responding. So my old grade and new grade are basically combined together to form my new CGPA?  
  • No, the old grade is replaced by the new grade, maybe your calculations are off.
  • So then my old grade is replaced by my new grade on my official transcript and goes towards my new CGPA, but my CGPA still takes into account the old grade. Thats the only explanation I have for this situation because I have calculated w/ the gpa calculator numerous times. 
  • MXC
    edited April 2015
    That doesn't seem right, if you check out your advising transcript you can see which courses are EXCM or REIG, meaning exempt and included in GPA respectively. 
  • I'll check that out, thanks. I basically re-calculated everything (including my old and new grade for the same course) and the CGPA from the gpa calculator matches the CGPA in my SIS. I don't know how to explain this without it sounding confusing but I guess my CGPA is treating the "new mark" as a whole new entity (as if I had retaken an entirely different course and gotten a B) and using that to calculate my new CGPA. So even though my transcript will show a new mark by replacing the "D" with a "B," its still taking both grades into account. I should probably talk to an advisor because I was under the impression that it completely substituted the old mark. 
  • I don't like how you two's names are so similar.
  • Cool, Tofu. I don't really appreciate how your name is a type of food. 
  • Lol @ your usernames, they're so similar and confusing too.

Make sure you're looking at the right term, entering the right amount of credits and previous CGPA.
  • Thank you TalkUBC, that link had the information I needed! I guess I should visit my academic advisor to update my CGPA so both courses don't count towards it. I wonder why SIS doesn't update that automatically.
  • MCJ, was the academic advisor able to over-ride SIS for you? I'm in the exact same situation as you, the new better mark appears to be counted as a new entity and the old one is still negatively affecting my CGPA.
  • TitaniumBear, I am meeting my academic advisor in a couple days. I will update you!
  • It takes awhile for sis to update the new mark and overriding the old one. Give it a couple days, and It'll override the old mark, and your gpa will go up.
  • I like the name tofu
  • 112233, you were right. My CGPA changed, it just took a while for SIS to update. Thanks!
  • Mine got updated too, thanks guys!
  • I guess updates after the final grades post deadline passes. So do you have to cancel your advising appointment then or still go just to hang out and talk about life and eat her mints?
  • By the time I found out my CGPA was fixed, it was too close to the appointment for me to cancel. I still went to hang out and talk about other things...but...there were no mints involved. :(.
  • Is there any consequence for not showing up to the appointment?
  • I was also curious about that. Even though I did have a couple questions for her, I mainly went out of consideration. 
  • Well as long as she was hot, you can eat her "mints"...

Leave a Comment